Inexpensive way to get started with sausage

Started by jimmyb, May 04, 2011, 08:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I've been happily smoking various meats in my Bradley for a while now and am really getting tempted to try my hand at sausage making. You all make it look so good here with your posts and pics. I've read the Sausage making A-Z thread pinned at the top. I do not want to invest to much money to start but if I must, then I must. I am looking for a decent grinder and stuffer that won't cost much. I started smoking this way too and loved it so I upgraded to the Bradley from a cheap charcoal smoker.

I do have a Kitchenaid mixer and I'm reading in the posts that the grinder attachment is ok for small batches but don't waste money on the stuffer. I'm also reading that a manual stuffer is a real PITA. So do I go with the Kitchenaid grinder attachment and a inexpensive stuffer, or a grinder that can double as a stuffer? I'm sure there are many opinions on this from you experts so please advise.

CoreyMac

I still use a manual hand grinder, they are very reasonable in price. I would invest in a good stuffer, I use a 5 lb piston style(hand crank) they are fairly cheap. The thing that will start to cost money is if you buy equipment designed to make large batches quickly. Stick to equipment that does small amounts and just keep reloading, it takes a bit longer but thats how I have been doing it for years. I usually start on Fridays after work and stuff on Saturday mornings, this gives you plenty of time in the smoker.

My 2 cents

Corey

3rensho

For small batches I'd say CoreyMac has you going in the right direction.  If, after a while you decide to get into it in a bigger way, then there are numerous posts here on other toys for sausage making.  You won't believe how much better the custom made stuff tastes.  Pretty much like super market bacon v. home made.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

DisplacedCoonass

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/meat-grinder-with-sausage-stuffer.aspx?a=764322

There's a link to the stuffer I've used for about 35-40lbs of sausage so far.  Easy enough to use even unmounted by myself.  The only draw back is for fine ground sausage, then it's a right pain, so much so that I refuse to do fine ground with that thing again.  The fine ground just oozes around the plunger, but coarse ground/chunk meat just pushes right through. 

For a grinder, I just use the KitchenAid grinder attachment in 5 batches.  No issues so far.

marauder11

THERE IS NO WAY GETTING INTO SAUSAGE MAKING WILL EVER END UP BEING CHEAP. IT IS AN ADDICTION THAT CAN REQUIRE YEARS OF COUNSILING TO GET OVER . ;D

cobra6223

I bought my Bradley to smoke fish in, about a  year ago now and I have the 4 rack, and I wish I had a 6 rack and here's the kicker !! for fish I've only done 2 salmon fillets a pound a piece ;D, but other meat and sausage is killer fun , I killed one grinder already and now have a new Gander guide series, 129.00 on sale , and Weston 11 pound stuffer,149.00 on sale off the web . The grinder was ok for stuffing but since I got the stuffer it hasn't seen the light of day as I buy ground meat . If you don't have you find yourself buying a Rytek Kutas sausage book , and many toys to numerous to mention , I find myself thinking all the time what I can try next , as everyone says it get's very addicting very fast !! Hope you have fun with the sausage and welcome to the best forum in the world !!!

Habanero Smoker

A vertical sausage stuffer is not that difficult to use. If you continue to read more posts you may find that most prefer a dedicated stuffer over using a grinder to stuff the sausage.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pfowl01

jimmyb,

I have the cabela's 11lb vertical stuffer and jerky cannon for sale right now. I can't let them go until sometime in june but I'll sell you the combo for 225.00 and I'll pay the shipping......let me know if your interested, just pm me.

viper125

Just stuffed ten lbs more of snack sticks. Used the kitchen aid as usuall works great. I love the grinder and stuffer. Sure done a lot of deer also some hogs.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.