• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need some quick advice...

Started by pokerdave, May 15, 2011, 01:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokerdave

I have two 7.5 lb butts ( or more accurately a complete shoulder that came split ) in the OBS. Been in since midnight.

One is on shelf 2 and one on 3 placed such that one isn't directly above the other. Have the temp probe in the top one.

I'm at 168 right now... and hoping I get to 190 in the next couple of hours...

Two questions:

Which one should be cooking faster? I haven't moved either one since putting them in.

The other is if I want to eat at 6:30 or 7 ( it's 3:30 now ) at what point do I punt on waiting for the temp to come up and put them in the oven at a higher temp to get them to 185 or 190? what oven temp would you use?

muebe

My news to you is that you are not going to get from a IT of 168F to 190F in a couple of hours :-\

The lower one will be cooking faster because it is hotter the closer you get to the element. Butts can be strange. One 7 pounder can cook in a different time than another due to fat content and other variables.

You could wrap them in foil to speed up the cooking time but by doing this you will lose the bark..

If you are really strapped for time I would foil and finish them in the oven at 350F but your results will not be as good.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Habanero Smoker

If they are about the same size, the bottom butt which is closer to the heat source should be cooking faster.

Check the temperature of the lower butt. I would take one out and place it in your oven. I would suggest an oven temperature of 250°F - 275°, but you can use an oven temperature up to 325°F. It's better to finish a little early then too late.

PS
One other thing you may want to try. When they hit 175°F (check the temperature in a few places), you may want to check them for tenderness. Use the fork test; that is insert a fork and twist it to see if the meat pulls apart. If it inserts and twist easily it is at a point which it can be pulled. You should perform the fork test in a few places.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pokerdave

Great point... no reason I can't let the second one complete!

pokerdave

Ok, moved the probe to the bottom one... 175...

Will give it 30 minutes and make a call then... Of course opening the door may set me back a bit...

pokerdave

So no real FTC time... Do I just pull it ( from OBS or Oven... ) and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes or so then pull?

Habanero Smoker

Originally I thought no one reponded to your post, but later saw you posted another thread.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)