• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

totally new to smoking

Started by rayw, May 22, 2011, 03:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rayw

hi im totally new so any advice would be great.built a smoker and added smoke generator going to smoke trout i caught yesterday.at moment its in the fridge in a solution of salt sugar ang herbs.how long should i leave it before smoking and how long should i smoke it for.also whilst ive got the smoker going im going to try some cheese in at the same time any tips on smoking cheese would be great too ta ray uk

3rensho

Hi rayw - Well how long to brine them depends on their size and the salinity of the brine.   Cheese you want to cold smoke ( <80oF) otherwise you'll have a real mess on your hands. 
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Hopefull Romantic

Hi there ray and welcome to the forum.

Here is a post for you on smoked trout. Hope it will help.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

watchdog56

Welcome.

I don't think I would do fish the same time as cheese.  You would not want any fish smell on your cheese. Also you want to do a cold smoke for your cheese and try not to get the temp over 90 or your cheese may melt. You can cold smoke the cheese for as long as you want but I usually go 2 hours using apple. Just don't taste it right away,it will taste nasty like an ash tray >:(. You will have to wrap up in plastic or vacuum seal it for at least 2 weeks,the longer the better. It will stay in vac bag for up to 1 year at least in frig. DO NOT FREEZE THE CHEESE it will crumble.
I have soaked my fish for about 12 hours and then smoked for up to 3 hours; here is my recipe.
Made brine for fish. Used 2 1/2 gal water and added canning salt until egg
would sink and then float back to top. Added 1 cup brown sugar and 1/2 bottle of liquid
smoke. Brined overnight and took out of frig for 1 hour until pellicle forms. Put in smoker
at 120 for 1 1/2 hours then up to 140 for 5 hours then 175 until finished. Smoked with
alder for 3 hours.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

rayw

thanks thats very helpful im sure this site is going to be a great help

ghost9mm

Welcome rayw... this a really great forum, any time you may need help just ask, no stupid questions here...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

smoker pete

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

beefmann