• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Question on Puck Advance...

Started by ttownump, October 14, 2005, 04:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttownump

Take me through the process about the pucks and how many times do i want to push the advance button once I start to smoke my butt..Thanks

nsxbill

I use 4 hours worth for brisket, ribs and pork shoulder/butt.  That would be 12 pucks.  If you don't have Bubba pucks(aluminum dummy pucks), put in 2 extra pucks.  Push the advance 3 times and it will advance puck to burner.  The rest is automatic.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Push the advance 3 times and it will advance puck to burner.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The only small thing I would add is to wait in between pushing the advance button each time allowing it to completely cycle before you push it again.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ttownump

Thank you guys for answering my question, will et you know how my butt turned out <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Oldman</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">Push the advance 3 times and it will advance puck to burner.</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The only small thing I would add is to wait in between pushing the advance button each time allowing it to completely cycle before you push it again.

Olds

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

whitetailfan

Also depends on your technique for smoke box warm up (pre-heating).

If you preheat to get your cabinet up to temp and also your burner plate, then yes - advance 3 times, <b><u>waiting patiently</u></b> for the cycle to complete each time.  Wait for the little clicking sound in the generator at the end of the push cycle before you hit the advance again.

If you find yourself cramped for time and need to get the food in right away, or have to leave the smoker for a while but want the food on before you go, and you did not have time to properly pre-heat - do not advance at all, or just one push of the button.  This will allow 40 min to 1 hr for the plate to heat up while the pucks are in route to the burn position.  No wasted pucks this way when you did not pre-heat.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

bsolomon

I agree with either of whitetailfan's methods, and offer one other:

Even with a good 1 hour preheat for the smoker, I then add my bisquettes and advance only twice.  The reason for this is that it allows a full 20-minute cycle for the first bisquette to sit in what I call the "preheat" position (i.e., just to the left of the burner).  This should warm the bisquette and allow the leading edge to start to smolder a bit before advancing onto the burner.  I find that that way I get a good complete burn of all of the bisquettes; whereas, if I advance immediately 3 times to put a fresh bisquette directly on the burner, it sometimes does not burn completely.

Oldman

Barry that is a darn good idea~~! Thanks.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Charlie Ritchie

Hi - I'm a newbie.  I am finding that partway thru the smoking process my bisquettes do not advance automatically. Usually the first 2 or 3 do but they then stop.  Any solutions?

Many thanks

JJC

Welcome Troy!  and to Barry and WTF--great ideas!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Charles.  Sorry you're having a problem with your smoke gen.  Is your unit still under warranty?  If so, Bradley will get you a replacement generator very quickly.  If not, it could be something as simple as a piece of crud jammed in the works somewhere.  It might be worth a good cleaning, as others have described on the Forum.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Labluver

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Charlie Ritchie</i>
<br />Hi - I'm a newbie.  I am finding that partway thru the smoking process my bisquettes do not advance automatically. Usually the first 2 or 3 do but they then stop.  Any solutions?

Many thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Did you make sure there are enough bisquettes in the resevoir to keep pushing the others along their way? I made this mistake my first time.