• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pusher Pucks burning

Started by harvestbarn, May 23, 2011, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopefull Romantic

I remember that one forum member was making and selling his own version of the bubba pucks. I will try and locate the thread for you. I am not sure he still makes them or not, but will try.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Toker

I ordered many times from Yard and pool and they ship to Canada without problem. Just send a email to their support service and tell them where you are, they will ship it to you with pleasure.

Hopefull Romantic

It seems that Auber Instruments are selling them now and they do ship out of the US, here is the link:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=111

These look much lighter than the ones I purchased as they are actually hallow rings and not in actuality pucks. I would imagine that the shipping would not be much.

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

Paddlinpaul

Quote from: Hopefull Romantic on May 27, 2011, 03:11:44 AM
It seems that Auber Instruments are selling them now and they do ship out of the US, here is the link:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=111

These look much lighter than the ones I purchased as they are actually hallow rings and not in actuality pucks. I would imagine that the shipping would not be much.

HR

I got the rings from Auber and they work great. They shipped them to Canada no problem. I ordered them at the same time as my PID so not sure what the charges were for shipping.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

harvestbarn

Thanks all have ordered 3 puck savers from http://smokeandstuff.com/ in Canada, I did find covering the wooden ones with foil worked but think the extra weight will be a help.

The weather is  warmer now the inside of the cabinet was 20degC before I started,  I put some ice in the bottom this dropped it to 17degC but after an hour it was 23deg C. I am cold smoking trout the text book I have say 32deg C is maximum for fish does any one have ideas on this?  I had excellent results with about 2 hours of smoke this is my second batch and was surprised how good the first came out.

Habanero Smoker

The 32°C (90°F) I also use as the maximum; some sources will quote 38°C (100°F); not only for fish but all foods. I like to keep the cabinet temperature around 21°C (70°F).

The temperature range you were smoking in is ideal. If it gets higher you can open the door to allow the heat to escape or keep the door cracked open. Also keeping your smoker in the shade helps, as does waiting to smoke after sunset, or before sunrise. I always remove the drip tray, it helps the smoke circulate better.

Off setting your generator by building or buying a cold smoke box really helps. It can be made out of wood, metal or even cardboard.
Cold Smoking Adapter Box

Don't be afraid of the cardboard. I have used one for several years.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

harvestbarn

That was good to know, the maximum temperature measured at the top of the cabinet with a thermocouple and digital meter was 24.4deg C after about 2hours 7 burnt pucks.   I have made a cardboard cold smoke box and it has been very successful.  The only problem I have had is the pucks jambed up once and when left on for a while all burnt making a bit of a mess.  After covering the last two pucks with aluminium foil the burning problem was solved and when the new puck savers arrive I think the extra weight will cure the jambing.   Once I have these I shall use the time switch to smoke in the early hours when the ambient temperature is lower. 

Do you use the third puck saver? 

In the trial I did with the time clock I had a puck that was not well burnt at all and think it was the first one.  I think it was a mistake  to set it up with a wood puck on the hot plate!  There were two in the water bowl black but with some form left.

devo

QuoteIn the trial I did with the time clock I had a puck that was not well burnt at all and think it was the first one.  I think it was a mistake  to set it up with a wood puck on the hot plate!  There were two in the water bowl black but with some form left.
If you let the smoke generator preheat for about twenty minutes the first puck should burn a lot better

TedEbear

Quote from: harvestbarn on June 06, 2011, 03:07:05 PMDo you use the third puck saver?  

If you don't use three puck savers it will leave the last puck on the burner to char which could lead to a bad taste in whatever you're smoking.

OU812

Quote from: devo on June 06, 2011, 04:37:58 PM
QuoteIn the trial I did with the time clock I had a puck that was not well burnt at all and think it was the first one.  I think it was a mistake  to set it up with a wood puck on the hot plate!  There were two in the water bowl black but with some form left.
If you let the smoke generator preheat for about twenty minutes the first puck should burn a lot better

When yoy fire up the smoke generator only advance 2 pucks, that'll give the hot plate time to heat up.

Quote from: TedEbear on June 06, 2011, 06:42:33 PM
Quote from: harvestbarn on June 06, 2011, 03:07:05 PMDo you use the third puck saver? 

If you don't use three puck savers it will leave the last puck on the burner to char which could lead to a bad taste in whatever you're smoking.

Ditto.  ;D

Habanero Smoker

I use two Bubba Pucks (puck savers), then place a bisquette on top. If you have mesquite, use that as the last puck, they will hold up better then the others.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

When I got my bubba pucks they only sold them 2 at a time so I took a branch from a walnut tree that was the same diameter as the puck and cut it the same thickness to make my third puck.

Still using the same hunk of walnut and its the last one in line.