• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital no to temp

Started by lbskis, June 11, 2011, 05:21:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbskis

Yesterday morning I put on 2 Boston butts. 17# total. Smoker temp still not to 180 degrees after 25 hours. My Maverick Thermo says 179 degrees and the smoker itself says 239 degrees.

I pulled the smaller of the 2 butts and have it in the oven, cranked the temp on the smoker and left the large one in the smoker. After 25 hours, it is only at 179 IT.

Any suggestions? Family reunion today in 5 hours......

beefmann

id put both in the oven at 225 and go to 190-200 for pulled pork, it  will be  close in timing.

hope your reunion goes well

lbskis

Excellent. Since I have your attention, is it common for the smoker to say one temp and a real thermometer say 50-60 degrees less?

muebe

Are we talking the cabinet temp or the protein temp probe readings?

It is common for the door thermometer to be off by as much as 50F degrees on the OBS.

Also there is a big temp difference in cabinet temp above and below the protein. You should be placing the cabinet temp probe just below the lowest rack of protein. It will be cooler above due to the absorption of energy by the protein. You may want to check the calibration of your maverick and make sure your getting the right temp readings ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

lbskis

Thanks very much. I had the probe for the cabinet temp mounted on the second from the top grate.
I have the Digital model so the cabinet temp is on the smoke generator and I am concerned that the readings are so far off. I will read up on calibrating the Maverick. After going thru 3 heating elements in 5 months and now this, I am second guessing my decision.

muebe

Hang in there...Bradley had a batch of bad elements. The new elements are now supposed to be fine.
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

lbskis

Bradley did explain to me the element issue and this last one has worked twice, so that alone is good with me. ( I have never had one last 2 smokes in a row)

You mentioned calibrating the Maverick themometer. I didnt see anything about that on their website, so I am assumming you place it in the oven and see what it registers?

Thanks for your help.....

muebe

You will place the tip of the probe in boiling water and you should get around 212F from your maverick. Or in ice water you should get around 32F if the probe will go that low.