• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Computer assisttance - and yes I am a sap.

Started by Quarlow, June 12, 2011, 08:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mybad

Personally I would change every password I have, from a clean computer [not touched by the scammer] first. Like others have said if your computer is slowing down there are some simple things you can do.

CrapCleaner works well like ADH said. Use it to remove the temp files in the Windows/Application files. All that is just junk really. If you use CC to clean your registry make sure you back it up, when CC prompts you, just so if it goofs up you system you can load the back up and be back to where you started.

Do all the spyware/malware/antivirus scans. Do them in Safe Mode, so stuff running in memory will be checked/cleaned as well.

You can shut off start up programs that really don't need to run at start up. Go to>Start>Run and type in msconfig. Choose the start up tab. Un check the programs you would like to not start. Or use CC on the side tab select Tools, then start up. and from there you disable/enable start up programs.

Run Defraggler from the same folks who make CC, defrag your system, and run the boot time defrag from the settings menu at the top just select run once.

Don't know what operating system you are using, but you could check to see how many processes are running. Open the Task manager, and go to the processes tab. If you have say more than 50? running you should look into eliminating some of  these, either by removing the program if you don't need it, or by shutting them off using CC or msconfig.

If too many processes are running at idle, this will use tons of memory, and add to a slow sluggish system.

Good luck Q

If you feel like you need some help, cleaning your computer up, go to this site http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup and follow the directions. I have been a member there for over 10 years, and they REALLY know there 0....not me so much but they do...lol

Habanero Smoker

Giving an unknown person full remote access to your computer can end up pretty bad, especially if you have personal data stored.

I use [http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/]PC Pitstop[/url] to check my system, and their commercial product Optimize 3 to clean my registry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)