• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hatch Farms Jalepeno powder

Started by JF7FSU, June 29, 2011, 03:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Hey everyone, I just got in some XXX-Hot Hatch Farms Jalepeno Powder and Chipotle Powder.    I am looking for some guidance on how much of this stuff to use in GB jerky and what if anything to mix it with and how much?   I am looking at doing a 5Lb load and want it hot and flavorful.  I was thinking about just the powder and water, but I am thinking there needs to be something else in the mix?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

Hamburgertoday

I'm no pro here but just on my third batch of jerky myself.  Although I am a professional chef and happen to be from New Mexico you are thinking exactly where I was.  eventually I will make a batch of green chile jerky.  here are my thoughts (nothing tried just yet).
* I'd prob start with about 1/4 cup of green chile powder.
* 2 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves chopped fine (when I cook w/ green chiles I find that the thyme actually punches up the flavor of green chile a bit so it's not just pure heat)
* maybe 1/2 cup tomato juice (V8 might provide a good base) and a simple brine of 1/2 cup water + 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt + 1 Tablespoon sugar.
*1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of kikkoman Lime ponzu or regular ponzu (this will contribute salt and lime flavors plus a bit of umami)
* lots of garlic powder (i prefer powder over raw garlic because it provides much more control in many ways) - say 2 tablespoons of roasted garlic powder maybe.
* I'd also add about 2 Tablespoons of freshly cracked pepper - this should make the heat a little bit complex.
* I almost think that adding a touch of MSG might be a good idea for my batch although I've not played with it at all. I almost want to add a bouillon cube to my mix and will do some further research when I get to that point but I think the flavor would be awesome w/ one of these components.
* 1 teaspoon of cure #1

Again, I've never tried the above but hope to make a batch of green chile jerky after I get my OBS experience.  My expertise is in New Mexican and Latin American cuisines so i'm giving you recommendations for flavor. Personally I wouldn't add chipotle powder for fear of having too much smoke (unless you just dry it minus smoke) - the chipotle is just a smoked jalapeno so if you had jalapeno powder you might achieve the same results with just the jalapeno and some OBS smoke.

my second batch was tasty but apparently I left the vents closed and ended up having too much moisture in the chamber which resulted in a dry batch.  I'm actually working on batch #3 now and I'll post results tonight or tomorrow. Let me know what you end up with.

Ooops- sorry I just gave you my thoughts for strip jerky - not GB.  I would imagine that the same ingredients w/ much less levels would provide a great start.  Good luck.
"We take the hamburger business more seriously than any one else" Ray Kroc

JF7FSU

Great post. Since you are a Chef I look forward to your recipe and posts.  I would up using ground Turkey with some basic jerky seasoning and about 6TB of Chipotle powder for heat. It is curing now and will extrude and smoke tomorrow. 
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone