• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Whole Goose

Started by Thunder Fish, October 27, 2005, 03:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Fish

Have the bird thawing in the fridge,will attempt to smoke it whole!The brine will be of salt,terraki(cheap)whiskey and spices as I feel for them.(brineing until Saturday)

I was going to hang it in the Bradley but figured, rack ,belly up and let the fat do it's thing,poke the skin in a few places with the injector needle(more brine) and let it run until breast temp is at 165F.

Thinking to start off with some Hickory than Pecan/Apple......and ya, a big catch pan under the bird.

Can any one add or suggest any thing else?.............Did a Canada honker 30 years ago with the whiskey and it was great!!!!! this bird is farmed and around 9 lbs
  No I will not step on the wings and pull [:)] or jerk the thing [:)]Terry

jaeger

Thunder Fish,
Let us know how the goose turns out. The only thing I would consider is to put a few bacon strips on a rack above the bird.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

bsolomon

I would possibly reconsider your brining time.  From now until Saturday will probably yield an extremely salty finished product.  See http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14 for recommended times.  Most poultry can be done in only a few hours, and we have determined that turkey works out to about 1 hour/lb.  So unless you have a goose that weighs in at 40+ lbs, you will likely overbrine if you start now...[:0]

Thunder Fish

Thanks bsolomon,just thought the fat might play into it,just thawed in the fridge tonight will work on it Friday AM...................Any more inputs? [:)] [:)]

bsolomon

Depending on how much fat, you may need to change the water bowl out more than once.  I think I had to do this when I did three farm-raised ducks at the same time.

Thunder Fish

Bird was quite tastey and moist.No bacon on top rack (Placed a pan with some water in it under the next rack down) I did the no-no and basted it every hour from hr 3 on.Cooked until enternal was 173 F, 11lb whole bird was in the preheated smoker at 8:15 am and was ready by 5:45.
 Put in the marinade Friday around 8:00 pm ,took out around 5:00 Sunday am.
1 cup kosher salt,
1 lg garlic,
1 onion,
1/2 teas sage,
black pepper
13 oz whiskey(cheaper the better)
topped up with cold water 3/4-1 gal
injected the breast meat with  2 oz maple syrup.

Sunday am dried off the bird stuffed with the marinating onion + garlic and added apples and oranges to fill the cavity.External just threw some poultry seasoning, Cajan spice,nutmeg and black pepper on it.

Would I smoke a goose again?? there is now 2 in the frezzer,wifes request [:)]  11lb bird fed 4 people,oh and the wings??? ya can toss after smoking,toatally useless,legs are nice [^]
Terry

Thunder Fish

[:)] [:)] [:)] [:p] [:p]