Hello from Southern Ca.

Started by SoCalBill, July 07, 2011, 10:44:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBill

I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. As you probably guessed from my forum name I am Bill. I live in the Orange County area of Southern California. However I was raised in Southwest Virginia in a small town. I have been researching and reading these forums for a while, but never registered. I felt it was time to do that since I just ordered the 4 rack DBS and with any luck Amazon should have it to me by Friday.

I am looking forward to trying ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, as well as fish.

The wife wants to cold smoke some things like cheese. I will be making a trip to Lowe's or The Home Depot to pick up the materials to make this cold smoke box http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16207.0

I'll be sure to post pictures of my first smoke. I plan to start with 10.5's 3-2-1 ribs.

TestRocket

Welcome Bill and good luck on that first smoke. If you ever have a question, just ask. We like to help as much as we like to smoke!    ;D

SoCalBill

Quote from: TestRocket on July 07, 2011, 12:39:34 PM
Welcome Bill and good luck on that first smoke. If you ever have a question, just ask. We like to help as much as we like to smoke!    ;D

Thanks! I am still trying to figure out all the acronyms  ;D

Caribou

Welcome to the Forum Bill,
I'm 3rd generation OC! :)
But I live in Idaho now.
Carolyn

beefmann

welcome to the forum and also in so calif. in orange county

ghost9mm

Welcome Bill to the forum, we have a really great group of very knowledgeable people here that are more then willing to help anytime...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

muebe

to the forum and hello from North Los Angeles County ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SouthernSmoked

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

http://www.susanminor.org

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

SoCalBill

Thanks all!

Looks like Amazon Prime came though once again and my smoker, briquettes, etc are all "Out for Delivery". I am super stoked.

Just out of curiosity where were you fellow SoCal people finding the best choice for meat? I was in Costco last night and baby back ribs are "on sale" at $3.99 p/lb. I also asked the butcher there and he said while they don't put the full briskets out if I wanted one they would cut one up and it was .4 cents cheaper p/lb too.

muebe

Costco is not the cheapest around but their quality of meat is great. They only carry Prime and Choice cuts. You can find sales at your local stores but the quality is usually select and untrimmed. So you end up paying less but end get less meat and poor quality. We have a chest freezer and find that stocking up with quality meat from Costco and vac sealing/freezing it is the way to go. If you have a local butcher you can get great meat but butchers cannot compete with the big chain stores so their prices are higher but quality is usually top notch.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

SoCalBill

Quote from: muebe on July 08, 2011, 10:07:10 AM
Costco is not the cheapest around but their quality of meat is great. They only carry Prime and Choice cuts. You can find sales at your local stores but the quality is usually select and untrimmed. So you end up paying less but end get less meat and poor quality. We have a chest freezer and find that stocking up with quality meat from Costco and vac sealing/freezing it is the way to go. If you have a local butcher you can get great meat but butchers cannot compete with the big chain stores so their prices are higher but quality is usually top notch.

Good to know. When I looked last night they had two types of ribs. One was baby back in a vacuum sealed package that looks like it has 2 racks in it. The second was spare ribs (that looked huge) they they had trimmed and packaged. Not sure which I will/should go with