• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Best Rib Method

Started by sundawg, July 06, 2011, 10:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundawg

Reading all this is amazing, but I find different techniques. For smoking Pork Back Ribs, what is best? 3-2-1; 2-2-1 or 2-1-1? I find them all mentioned but what would be the preferred method?

GusRobin

I do babybacks 3-1-1 others do it without any foiling. Its all a matter of experimenting and do what ends up tasting best for your particular preferences. The only thing you don't do it boil them before you cook them as some idiots people of different views recommend
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

muebe

Quote from: GusRobin on July 06, 2011, 10:48:51 AM
I do babybacks 3-1-1 others do it without any foiling. Its all a matter of experimenting and do what ends up tasting best for your particular preferences. The only thing you don't do it boil them before you cook them as some idiots people of different views recommend

Boil the ribs?!?! What!!!!!
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Tenpoint5

Here is a link to get you started. It works. From there you can branch out and do what you have to do to make your ribs Yours!!

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sundawg

Thanks for the input. Very much appreciated. Sundawg

GusRobin

Quote from: muebe on July 06, 2011, 11:01:10 AM
Boil the ribs?!?! What!!!!!

Yes I have actually read recipes where the auther says to boil the ribs in hot water "to absorb the flavor within the meat." Now I don't know where he lives but my water doesn't come with any flavor to absorb into the meat and if it did we would call the water dept and have them fix it. Usually you boil something to get flavor to the liquid (think soup)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SamuelG

Ooops!  I have it all wrong.

I smoke until ready.... Then foil for an hour... then the ribs perform a magical disappearance act.

Foil

SamuelG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SamuelG

TedEbear

I hate to say this but I've gotten my best results on baby back ribs without my Bradley.  I seal them tightly in foil with about 2/3 cup of apple juice per slab in a roasting pan in my oven at 275* for 3 hours. Then one more hour bare on the grill while I make some Vermont Pig Candy glaze from the drippings for the final 10-15 minutes. 

They turn out veeeery tender and tasty.   My Bradley baby back ribs turn out pretty well but they tend to be a little tougher.  Some people like 'em that way.  I prefer the fall-off-the-bone ones.

GusRobin

Quote from: TedEbear on July 07, 2011, 10:19:09 AM
I hate to say this but I've gotten my best results on baby back ribs without my Bradley. 

Doesn't matter where you do them as long as you like them.

mow_delon

TedEbear if your ribs are tough out of the bradley, you are not cooking them long enough.  Add an hour or two and tender will come.