shipping

Started by viper125, July 25, 2011, 05:44:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Here is a question I haven't read about. My brother in law is in Jacksonville Florida and i'm in Salem,Ohio. He catches shrimp and other sea food there. And well I smoke things. LOL He wants to ship back and forth and everything I see is so high. Wondered how you all do it. Thinking of buying a small styrafoam cooler And sending. But will this hold frozen food for 3 days? Come on guys I love seafood. How about some help.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Smokin Soon

I don't know if you could buy such a thing, but the best foam coolers I have ever had come from Omaha Steaks.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Smokin Soon on July 25, 2011, 07:38:23 PM
I don't know if you could buy such a thing, but the best foam coolers I have ever had come from Omaha Steaks.

Ditto.

Caribou

You could ship with dry ice.
Last time I checked a couple years back Fed ex Ground allowed it.
Carolyn

ghost9mm

Quote from: Caribou on July 26, 2011, 05:26:58 AM
You could ship with dry ice.
Last time I checked a couple years back Fed ex Ground allowed it.
Carolyn

X2
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

GusRobin

Good cooler + vac sealed item + frozen coolant bags (or ice bags -whatever they are called) + $$ = overnight shipping.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

We fedex wants 98.00 overnight for 3 lb of bacon. Thinking of uspostal. They will ship there box for 5.50 but takes 3 days. Found foam coolers 1 1/4 thick. Though of freezing bacon and adding gel packs or dry ice. Or would it be better not to freeze and just cold pac. I know its cured but how long will it stay in package with out freezing. Kinda worried with this heat wave.

Inside setup.

GusRobin

I would definitely freeze. Not sure I would trust 3 day shipment. All in all it may be cheaper for your brother to buy a Bradley.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

squirtthecat

I wouldn't risk the 3 day shipping in this weather..

February?  Sure, no problem.

Habanero Smoker

I've had good luck with the USPS three day shipping. Just make sure you clearly mark it perishable. But the day you mail it generally doesn't count as part of the 3 days. One good thing about the post office, the mail moves 24/7 that includes holidays. If you ask the postmaster or clerk, they can provide you with and exact day it will arrive. You can also ask for a tracking number, but that is an extra cost and the updates on where your package is at is only posted once a day.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

car54

I agree with Gus. Have him get a Bradley unless you are getting a cut of the goods. How often are you wanting to ship? Plus the costs will double because you are shipping both ways.

Brad

viper125

Well he's a great brother in law so gotta try. I think maybe Im taking the wrong approach and will be checking again. I was trying to contain all in 3-4 lbs. It might be cheaper to go bigger and add more dry ice. I think I read 5lbs for a day does any one know? Maybe cheaper to ship 20 lbs for 3 days than 3lbs. for one.
Inside setup.

Caribou

I would check Fed ex ground.  I'm not too sure that Fed ex will fly dry ice because of the gas it gives off.
I looked into it a few years back so I may not be right  :D
Carolyn

Habanero Smoker

I would also call a nearby dry ice place, they should be able to assist you with answers and may sell special packaging materials on site, which you can use for shipping. How long it will last will depends on the ambient temperature and how well you can insulate it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)