• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Travel with my OBS and element dies

Started by jimmyb, July 24, 2011, 11:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

So far I have loaded my OBS on my truck and took it with me to smoke at another location. Bot times I had one element die on me. I have the dual element so I was able to smoke but it is odd that the two times I moved it a element died. Anyone experience this? Is it just coincidental? Could the vibration of the ride cause this? I strap it in securely in the bed of my pickup so it doesn't move. Anyone ever experience anything like this? The first time it was the rear/original element. This time it was the added element.

GusRobin

you may have experienced the fact that both elements were part of the bad batch that had been floating around. I believe all the inventory has been flushed out so you should be okay with any future elements.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

jimmyb

Yes, that crossed my mind but when I keep the OBS home I never have an issue. Maybe just a coincidence but seems odd. This additional element was from Y&P and purchased recently so I thought it should be good.

GusRobin

if it was purchased recently it should have been good. Let me ask a question, did you travel, lose element, replace, travel, lose element? Or was it travel, lose element, replace, stay home and ssmoke everything ok, travel, lose element?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

jimmyb

it was travel, lose element. Come home and replace element. Smoke for a while (like 6 mos) no problems. Travel and lost another element.

Jim O

IMHO the bumping around while travelling could snap an element,as the may get brittle from use .

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

Habanero Smoker

I believe there is a coiled wire running through the element that provides the heat; at least that is how they made the glass ones and you can see the coiled wire. If it not a bad element, then it is possible jostling around over rough terrain can cause the coil to break. Try placing some shock absorbing material; such as several blankets underneath the smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

You could also remove the element prior to loading the smoker in the back of your truck.

GusRobin

QuoteYou could also remove the element prior to loading the smoker in the back of your truck.

Or you could just stay home and have those that want to eat travel to you.

jimmyb

Quote from: GusRobin on July 25, 2011, 11:18:11 AM

Or you could just stay home and have those that want to eat travel to you.

I like this suggestion the best!

JerkyAddict

We travel alot with our motor home. I keep the Bradley in the basement on its back laying on several layers of old towels. You could also use thick foam. I have not had a problem with it, and we've been doing it this way over three years.

Ken