• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Seasoning to start tomorrow, first use Sunday

Started by IKnowWood, November 12, 2005, 02:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

I finally got the smoker and all accessories ( pucks and briquettes) and am ready to get going.

I am seasoning it tomorrow and shopping for first usage.

Ultimately I am going to build a Bradley Shack for this to live in but for now i will wing it.  With Cold Weather and other projects on the list that will wait.  I am going to draw plans soon with a built in Cooler (for normal FTC) and post later.  

We have plans for Sunday to smoke a London Broil and a Chicken Breast.  Both for recipes my Wife and I have had for years.  The London Broil is used for Smoked New Mexican Red Chile Burrito's and the Chicken for Smoked Chicken Enchilada Casserole dish.  Both our recipe.  When we are done, I will post.  These are all modified ones we have Smoked with other easy smokers for years.  Lets see how the Bradley aids these great dishes achieve a smoking next level.

My mouth is watering, I will respond in a couple days...

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

IKnowWood

Its seasoned and I love the look and ease of use.  I have to get some containers to store stuff in.  I am still shocked how light it is and the volume of smoke that's generated.  I have to change my methods in previous water - Gas smokers to allow for the smoke but not to much.  A learning process indeed.  Thanks to this board and all of you to help me thru this.

IKnowWood

car54

Welcome Iknowwood, Your recipes seem great and I am interested in your results. I was amazed at the lightness of the Bradley but I do not resent buying it . The Bradley is a very good product and the forum is very informative.

Happy smoker, Brad

JJC

IKW, I just bought a second BS (a S+D black unit from Chez) so I could have a BS at my main home (outside Boston) and my Maine home (a log cabin on a small lake about 2 hours north of Boston).  Hardly a week goes by that I don't use the smoker for something, usually an 8-12 hour smoke (fish, Boston butts, briskets, etc).  I'm not the most compulsive cleaner or maintainer, yet my old BS has been A-OK since I got it.  I know you'll love it.  Let us know how things are going--if they're not what you expect, there's plenty of help here on the Forum.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

Cooking in the Bradley was an experience, at times confusing and frustrating.  Getting and keeping temps where they need to be and getting the food to temp was the largest hassle.  I have some work to do there.  I have some notes from others on the boards now to try.  I used my gut mostly on the first attempt, my gut was close but I like the science on approaches presented on these boards.  I give those a try this coming weekend.

Setup:  London Broil was rubbed prior to cooking with Emril Southwest spice + Cilantro leaves, Chicken propped upright only.  Set out for 1 hour.  

Bradley was one and setup with three probes, one for cabinet with remote, two others for the meats.

I mixed the woods to see effects during time.  I started with Hickory with a couple mesquite mixed in and finished with apple. (2 hickory + 1 Mesquite + 1 Hickory + 1 Mesquite + 2 Apple).  Idea was hearty smoke with smooth initial intensity.  

Cooking:
Smoked for 2 hours 20 min
Steak cooked for additional 40 minutes (3 hours total, reading was Medium Rare to Medium) and off it came to FTC
Chicken stayed in for an additional hour and half past that (4 hours 30 minutes) and off it came.

Results:

Steak was great, it was medium rare like we like it.  Mind you the dish we were cooking was a steak Burrito where the Steak is chopped and boiled with some New Mexico Red Chile Sauce loaded in Tortilla with cheese then sauced to serve.  We like the Meat more to the Rare side as it blends flavors better with the Sauce.  Tasking the Meat prior to Saucing it was interesting.  Good complete Smoke Flavor, did not have that initial hearty smoke flavor we used to get in other smokers.  But this was more balanced.  As taste continued the more hearty woods came into the scene.  Very enjoyable, next time maybe not use Apple.  Of course the end dish was intensely great as the smoke added a richness to the sauce that was best ever.  Loved it.

The Chicken however not as great so far.  Dish is not compete, it will be used in a Chicken Enchilada Casserole dish later this week.  Again it will be cooked briefly with some simple Chile sauce and layered with corn tortillas and baked.   We took the Chicken out at 160 degrees, thinking it will continue to cook 10 degrees more in FTC.  Well not enough.  When taken out of FTC and shredded, it was not cooked completely. For our purposes that was fine.  But we did not sample any yet.  I will reply on the results.  Next time we will continue to take it to 170 degrees.

The main issues of getting to temp and staying there cause the lengthy times and frustration.  I am armed now with better methods that will surely prove better next time.
Thanks for all the Help

Johnny

IKnowWood

bsolomon

In the future, I think you will find that temperature rise during FTC is usually at or less than 5 degrees.  Don't worry too much about the temperature slider.  After a couple more smokes, you will find the "spot" where it needs to be normally, and will have a better feel for how much to move it for fine adjustments.

JJC

IKW, bsolomon's advice is spot-on.  You'll get the feel of it really soon--you've started with a not-so-simple smoke (2 different meats) and are batting at least .500 right out of the box.  You'll be batting almost 1.000 in no time . . .[:)]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

Thanks for for the help.  Makes sense.  My issue was temperature.  I know how to work that.

BtW, the chicken was great in the dish.  Good flavor and it got coooked the rest of the way.

On to the next adventure....

IKnowWood

JJC

On to the next adventure....

[/quote]

Ah, now THAT'S the spirit!  Smoke on!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA