• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

SG as additional heat source?

Started by DoYouSmellSmoke?, August 06, 2011, 04:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoYouSmellSmoke?

A question for the veteran smokers: Do you leave your smoke generator on after your last bisquette is depleted? I'm currently in the middle of my first pork shoulder roast (blade in). It's a 6 pounder, so I figured a total cooking time of approximately 9 hours at 225 degrees, with 4 hours of hickory at the beginning of the smoke. I'm using 3 Bubba Pucks (Love' em, Yard and Pool. Thanks for the quick delivery!), an Auber single probe PID, but am still waiting on the arrival of my remote meat thermometer, so unfortunately, I'm kinda winging it on meat temp today.

After the smoke was done, I shut off the SG, and my tower temp dropped from 225 to around 210, and now, 3 hours after shutting off the SG, and 7 hours total cooking time, my tower temp has just come back up to 223. My vent is wide open (per Auber's recommendation), I haven't opened the tower once, and there's been very little wind this afternoon. Also about 58 F with no rain all day.

Should I have left the SG on to augment the heat from the main element? Is it even a factor, or are there other forces at work? I've read in other posts that the larger cuts of meats reach a plateau, and won't rise in temperature for a significant amount of time due to the breakdown of fats and muscles in the meat.

How do you guys do it? SG on or SG off after smoke is done?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

The Smoke Gen provides additional 150 watts of heat.

DoYouSmellSmoke?

Thanks for the info. I'll leave it on in the future.

ghost9mm

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 06, 2011, 06:05:56 PM

Yep !!! Yep !!! Yep !!! after my smoke is done, no bisquettes..just the heat...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

classicrockgriller

My Smoker is dualed out with 1000 watts of heat and I live in (HOT) Texas, so I turn mine off.

TedEbear

Quote from: classicrockgriller on August 06, 2011, 06:05:56 PM

I thought it was 125W.  Anyway, I turn mine off to save energy after the last puck has dropped into the water pan.  No need for the extra heat with 1000 watts of two elements on mine. 

mikecorn.1

i also leave mine on. i want to say that on the auber pid cd, it said that it can add as much as 16* worth of heat to the smoker. please dont quote me on that, i will try to remember and check when i get home. maybe someone can find out for sure about that.  ;)
Mike