• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

How long to sit?

Started by Bigbirdoffroad, August 08, 2011, 01:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigbirdoffroad

I'm going to finally smoke some sausage instead of doing fresh. I was wondering, how long does the meat mix have to sit with the cure before I stuff and smoke the sausage? Is it better to mix, stuff, rest then smoke or mix, stuff, rest then smoke? Thanks.
I'm not the smartest peanut in the turd!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 08, 2011, 01:28:53 PM
I'm going to finally smoke some sausage instead of doing fresh. I was wondering, how long does the meat mix have to sit with the cure before I stuff and smoke the sausage? Is it better to mix, stuff, rest then smoke or mix, stuff, rest then smoke? Thanks.

Dont matter. 95% of the time i mix, stuff, smoke.

classicrockgriller

If you are doing snack stix ............

Mix, stuff, smoke, no rest.

OU812

If its a sausage with all ground meat, mix, stuff, smoke.

It the recipe has chunks of meat, cure the meat first then mix, stuff, smoke.

Bigbirdoffroad

Is there any benifit of letting the sausage sit in the fridge overnight before stuffing? Does that help dry it out so the smoke sticks better?

Another question is, when you put the sausage in the smoker, do you have it at room temp or cold from the fridge?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 08, 2011, 04:34:05 PM
Is there any benifit of letting the sausage sit in the fridge overnight before stuffing? Does that help dry it out so the smoke sticks better?

Another question is, when you put the sausage in the smoker, do you have it at room temp or cold from the fridge?

No benifit. The casing should be tacky so the smoke sits better on them. Very cold sticks or sausage put in the smoker will create lots of surface moisture and make for a long smoke. Stuff and get to room temps for about an hour.....Dont worry ya aint gunna die  :o

Bigbirdoffroad

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on August 08, 2011, 04:51:54 PM
Quote from: Bigbirdoffroad on August 08, 2011, 04:34:05 PM

No benifit. The casing should be tacky so the smoke sits better on them. Very cold sticks or sausage put in the smoker will create lots of surface moisture and make for a long smoke. Stuff and get to room temps for about an hour.....Dont worry ya aint gunna die  :o
Thanks for the info "Master"!!! Don't worry, I have my own receipt.  :P

Keymaster

Once you add that cure and seasonings it will start to emulsify and get so sticky you wont be able to mix it any longer after about four minutes of mixing by hand. don't refrigerate the sausage overnight, I did that once and had to call Nepas for help, actually he called me ,awesome guy!!!! I cant wait to see how your first batch turns out BigBird!!!