Loading the generator tube

Started by cajunboudreaux, September 12, 2011, 11:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

Just wondering how you guys/gals out there load your tube for smoking. Do you place pucks in tube and let them go? Or do you have a time frame for loading pucks?

The reason i ask is because my 12year old BOS apparently wasn't droping pucks in every 20 minutes and the finished product was amazing and now that I have the new BOS it has alot more pucks than i am used to in the bowl. I am going to time it tonight to make sure it is working properly. Was just curious on how you guys do it.

Also after cleaning up the sut mess tonight i am going to re-season the smoker. What is your advice on doing this? How long should i let it go before placing meat on racks?
Laissez les bon temps rouler

classicrockgriller

Is suppose to drop a new puck every 20 minutes.

I usually pre heat the cabinet and the smoke generator.

After I load my meat in the cabinet I add my pucks and advance them to start.

beefmann

i load the tube for 3 hours of smoke and turn it on and do not advance , and yes  every 20 minutes a puck should advance

ArnieM

You might want to test the puck advance timing while re-seasoning.  Pre-heat the unit and and then add seven pucks.  Hit the advance three times to get the first puck on the hot plate and start timing.  The fourth puck should be pushed onto the hot plate at about the 60 minute mark (or roughly 3 beers  ;) ).
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

When I am checking the timing of the advance arm, I push the advance button, set a kitchen timer for about 18 minutes. That way you can leave and return in time to see if the arm will advance around the 20 minute mark.

Just another tip on loading the tube. If you want 3 hours of smoke you need to load 3:40 hours of bisquettes (11). You need two to push the ninth bisquette to the heating plate. Most of us use what are called Bubba Pucks. These are 2 aluminum discs that will push the 9th bisquette to the plate, and you will need a third (or place another bisquette on top of the Bubba Pucks) to push the 9th bisquette off the plate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)