• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Digital or Original, that is the question?

Started by phild, September 29, 2011, 12:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phild

Hi,

We live in Saint Louis and we currently have an electric Brinkman smoker, which works very well.   I drilled a hole in the top and fixed in place a thermometer and we also use a remote thermometer when doing large pieces of meet.  All Good.

We use it quite a lot during the summer and have tried to use in during the winter a few times, but it seems to be a little cold here.

I have been thinking of 'upgrading' our smoker to potentially one of the Bradley's.   Either the original or the digital.

I have, read a few posts about the fact that the element is small and perhaps does not heat as well as it might and I've also read a couple of posts about upgrading the element, either dual or a single larger one.

Again, I've read a few posts about the Auber PID, but does that not make the digital controls redundant?

Anyway, the purpose of my post is to seek advice regarding the path to take...  Digital or Original; upgrade element or not; use a PID or not?

All responses are much appreciated
Best Regards
Phil

muebe

I would go with a original and a PID.

The dual or larger element mod is not necessary. There are many people who have the single element. Have a larger or dual allows for quicker recovery and can handle extremely cold weather better. It is more of a choice than a necessity.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

phild

Hi Muebe,

Thank you for the response, I was kinda thinking along those lines myself.

Is this the PID that everyone uses:

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

There is also a dual probe version?  What is the point of the dual probes?

And there is also a 'wall mount' sensor, is that recommended?

Thanks
Phil

mikecorn.1

Quote from: phild on September 29, 2011, 12:57:03 PM
Hi Muebe,

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=72

Thanks
Phil
Go with obs and this
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=151&zenid=7c9be2360f0750dadaac53751a407ce8

I recommend the free hanging probe so you can put it where you need it. You have the option of a wall mounted also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

squirtthecat

Hey Phil.  I'm about an hour NE of you up I-55...

I ave the OBS and single probe PID.   Works like a champ.   I use the dangling probe so I have some flexibility on where it goes in relation to the load of meat.

muebe

Quote from: phild on September 29, 2011, 12:57:03 PM
Hi Muebe,

Thanks
Phil

Dual probe gives you more control. You can adjust the temp by the internal temp of the meat or by time. And you can have the Bradley shut off or go to a warming temp by the internal temp of the meat.

Like with a butt. You can have the cabinet temp at 225F until the internal temp of the butt reaches 195F then the cabinet temp can drop to say a warming temp of 150F. Great when you might not be able to pull it out right away ;)

And as squirt stated get the dangler and not the wall mounted probe ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

phild

Thank you everyone for the great replies...    :D

So, Original and the dual probe Auberin, it is.

That only leaves the idea of upgrading the element.   For those of you who live in an area where it gets down to freezing and below in the winter, will the standard element work?

In any case, I can make that modification as time goes by.

Thank you all for the responses,
Phil

squirtthecat

I've used mine in the winter just fine.  Just keep it out of the wind...

I have my smoker in a Suncast tall storage unit.  I just crack the doors open when I've got it running.

TedEbear

Quote from: phild on September 29, 2011, 01:29:29 PMThat only leaves the idea of upgrading the element.   For those of you who live in an area where it gets down to freezing and below in the winter, will the standard element work?

Hi, Phil.  I'm also in the St. Louis area (Wildwood).  I do an occasional smoke in the middle of winter and my dual element mod sure is nice for that.  The single 500W element just didn't seem to have enough "horsepower", even when it wasn't all that cold out.  With the dual element my preheat times are about 8-9 minutes now instead of 45 minutes the old way.

Also, I added a PID controller in the SG box.  Even with all the odds and ends to make it work the cost was less than 1/2 of the plug-n-play version.  Plus, I don't have a bunch of extra wires and cables running all over the place. I use an Auber K-type TC with an alligator clip on the end and attach it to the bottom side of one of the racks like a drip loop so no grease can run down the wire and into the sensor.

zueth

So why is everybody saying to get a original over a digital.  I don't see what advantages you have with a original, but i see plenty with a digital.  Of course i have a digital so could be why

TedEbear

Quote from: zueth on September 30, 2011, 12:52:27 PM
So why is everybody saying to get a original over a digital.  I don't see what advantages you have with a original, but i see plenty with a digital.  Of course i have a digital so could be why

The OBS costs less.  If someone adds things such as a second element and PID controller there's no reason to pay the initial extra cost of the digital.

Tenpoint5

Of course the OBS and a PID cost about the same as a DBS. With the PID you have tighter temp controls. Which are mainly needed if your going to do sausage. Otherwise it is a matter of using your smoker and getting to know it. The more you use it the better you know it. I used my 4 rack DBS for about 5 years before I got a PID and that was because I got it used and for a good deal. I also got to know that my DBS was always 10º off, So I made adjustments to compensate for it. If I wanted 230º I would set it for 240º. I live where it gets cold and the original element that comes with the unit works just fine in cold weather. As long as you the operator works fine in cold weather. In other words. It is a 500w element and it will only provide so much heat. whether is is hot or cold outside. You just have to factor that in and expect things to take just a little bit longer when the temps start to drop. It's all part of using your Smoker and learning it. It will work just fine without all of the upgrades and all of the added bells and whistles.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!