• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Very very newbie question.

Started by milanojay, September 29, 2011, 04:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milanojay

Hi guys, just got the 4 rack Bradley digital.

Question for smoking in general.

Do I run the oven at the same time as the smoker when 'smoking'? Or just the smoker?

I got a prime rib roast and turned on just the smoker part... but the temperature didn't seem like it was moving much. Is it mandatory when 'smoking' to always have the oven side combined with the smoking?

Thanks in advance

classicrockgriller

Yes, turn on the oven for hot smoking.

No oven for cold smoking.

devo

The smoke generator will only get the smoker up to 120*F-150*F depending on how cold it is outside. Just using the smoke generator is for cold smoking and not for cooking your meat. In your case you need the element in the smoker to get your meat to a safe internal temp to eat. A prime rib roast I would be shooting for 125-135*F but thats just me

milanojay

So is cold smoking just a longer process?

devo

Yes and no  ;D ;D ;D
The meat has a safe zone to eat and you will need the element in the smoker to get it there

milanojay

Okay see my idea of a smoker was that it just used smoke. The oven 'side of things' I thought was just a bonus if you only wanted to use it as an oven camping, or whatever.

So, basically most people use the smoker + the oven when cooking stuff, right?

I wasn't too sure of all that. I'm cooking the prime rib roast at 180 and I'm thinking for about 2 hours or so. I didn't grab a thermo so I'm going to have to slice and check manually probably.

Does the 'smoking' side of things enhance the cook speed? For example, a whole chicken will cook faster in oven+smoke than just a traditional oven?

I usually do  whole chicken in a normal oven at 375 or so for an hour and they come out tasty and great. In the smoker I'm guessing it still takes an hour but with lower temperature and smoke?

Thanks in advance,

M

devo

The trouble with just the smoke generator is your meat will sit in the danger zone for to long. Cold smoking is more for cheese and some fish that has been brined to protect it from the bad stuff.
Chicken and turkeys should be smoked/cooked at the highest temp you can get, I don't do to much chicken but I believe it should be an internal temp of 160*F. The reason I don't do chicken is I like crisppy skin and you won't get that in a smoker. Most people finnish them on a grill or oven. Oh and if your doing chicken or any birds your vent should be wide open because of the moisture in the birds

KyNola

Milanojay, with all due respect to you and first and foremost welcome to the forum.  I don't how to say this to you without hurting your feelings but you obiously are new to smoking foods, particularly in a Bradley Smoker.  That chicken that takes an hour in your oven at 375 is going to take close to 3 hours in the Bradley.

That prime rib roast you are cooking at 180?  How much does it weigh and how do you know you're cooking at 180?  If you're using the thermometer in the door of your Bradley, it's not accurate.  If it's the digital model that will be closer to accurate but let me tell you, no matter the weight of your prime rib roast it will not be finished in 2 hours.

You need to watch what you're doing before you make some folks really sick.  I apologize for my bluntness but you stand the risk of hurting somebody.

GusRobin

Milanojay,
A Bradley is intended to be a low and slow cooker. This means you cook at low temps (200 -250  more or less) and it takes a while for the food to  cook. This works great for briskets, butts, and many other meats. It comes with the capability to smoke  the food, but the smoke generator is just for smoking.
If you cold smoke (just the generator) you need to cook stuff that won't spoil (cheese, some veggies, nuts, brined fish,etc). Most meat if not cured in one way or another runs a high risk of spoiling if only the smoke generator is used since meat starts to spoil when it is between 40-140 for any length of time. Not all of the nasties that grow at this temp can be killed when you cook to 165-200 internal temp. Most would need to go to at least 214 or higher ( that's why most canned food is pressure cooked). At that temp, most meat would be dried out even if you were able to kill the nasties.
So you nned to cook at higher temps and longer times than you are discussing. Something like the Charbroil SRG can cook it faster but you are also infrared cooking at temps in the 500s.
Suggest you go to the recipe section of the forum and read some recipes. They will give you an idea of the temps you should cook at. Many won't list times because you need to cook to the internal temp of the meat not the time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Here is the link to the recipe site. www.susanminor.org 

milanojay

Thanks all. I did some more reading around the forum. Just did my first smoke with hickory. Did the Prime Rib Roast (salt/pepper/cajun) for about 3 hours at 225. It was amazing. It turned out to be medium so everybody was pleased. I put some home made mushroom gravy on top (mushrooms, soy sauce, chicken broth, some seasoning, starch) + mashed potatoes.

Unbelievable, the outside looked amazing and it was so juicy and moist. I'm so happy with the purchase.