• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Main Element screws stripped??

Started by cajunboudreaux, September 14, 2011, 08:29:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajunboudreaux

Is it common for the main element screws to strip out easily? I was taking the screws loose and the top right screw would not come out. I took it apart tonight awaiting the new parts which did not come in today. Also, when you replace the element do you relocate it a little higher or lower or use this toothpick or steel wool trick? My first 2 OBS had zero issues out of 15 years and now 3 weeks and a new one nothing but problems. Hopefully it will be up and running by the weekend. Thankyou in advance for your help.
Laissez les bon temps rouler

classicrockgriller

The screw that holds the ceramic piece in is a

machine screw and is almost impossible to strip.

Bobby, the screw goes into a nut.

cajunboudreaux

ok, thanks. I wonder why the top screw will not unscrew it just spins. i'll got take a closer look. the other 3 came out fine. just one that did not.

Habanero Smoker

If the threads of either the bolt or nut are stripped, then once the bottom bolt is removed try lightly pulling outward on the ceramic piece as you turn the bolt. Don't apply too much pressure while pulling. Another possibility is that the nut is no longer fasten to the cabinet, so it just spins as you turn the bolt.

For repairs the toothpick or steel wool tip may not work in an area that has that much constant heat. You may have to go to a hardware store and look or ask for "thread inserts". There are various types on the market. It can either be a thin sheet of mesh steel or coiled steel thread. Another possibility that may work is to replace the bolt with a self taping bolt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

cajunboudreaux

Thanks guys, I am pretty sure the nut isnt attached to the cabinet. I have tried just about everything to get it out. it was loose when i first tried to remove it. Thanks for the advice on hardware items. Hopefully today i will get it back going.

cajunboudreaux

Finally got the last screw off. yah!!

Habanero Smoker

Was it stripped or did the nut detached from the cabinet. If the nut was detached, can you explain how you got the bolt loose. That would be helpful to others that may come across that problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cajunboudreaux

Kinda hard to explain but the two small bolts were loose causing the Ceramic to move. The bottom right long bolt came out fine. I laid the unit on its back and applied light pressure to the back of the unit while lifting only the ceramic. turning the screw slow trying to get it to grab. finally it did. I looked down in there the best i could to see if i could see the nut. with a very tiny screwdriver i tried to see if line the nut back up, not sure how much it has to moved around. This is why I have the Smoker laying down (not standing up) just incase the loose nut could fall to the bottom. I will see when the new parts get here to see if I can get it to tighten back up. may have to try something else. Not sure yet. It seems that you dont need the small screws if both long screws are holding.

classicrockgriller

You have 4 Long screws that hold the back ceramic to the wall.

The 4 short screws hold the front of the ceramic to the back ceramic.

To try and install all together at one time with the 4 long screws

would be a cluster ball, plus I don't think the long screws will go

thru both pieces and catch the nut.

Bobby, put it back together like it came. The nut that came loose

fits in a slot on the back of the ceramic. That holds it while it gets tighten.

cajunboudreaux

Sonny i meant two long/short a side, sorry for the confusion. And that is what I was hoping for was to have a slot so that nut wouldn't fall. Thanks

Quarlow

Is this not accessable with the back removed? I have never even looked at mine so am not sure but it seems as just taking the back off would make it easier
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the update.

It's been awhile since I took the back off, but I don't believe it is accessible from the back, but I'm not sure about that. It could be there under the insulation. Since it is on it's back moving the nut may slide out of sight. Since there is very little weight load on the bolt, if you can't get the original bolt threaded through the nut; maybe you can replace the current bolt with a self threading one, the problem with that is you may have to drill the wholes in the ceramic part large enough to fit the self threading bolt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on September 16, 2011, 01:08:39 PM
Thanks for the update.

It's been awhile since I took the back off, but I don't believe it is accessible from the back, but I'm not sure about that. It could be there under the insulation. Since it is on it's back moving the nut may slide out of sight. Since there is very little weight load on the bolt, if you can't get the original bolt threaded through the nut; maybe you can replace the current bolt with a self threading one, the problem with that is you may have to drill the wholes in the ceramic part large enough to fit the self threading bolt.

Or bust the Ceramic
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 16, 2011, 04:16:35 PM

Or bust the Ceramic

That's true. You definitely have to drill slow, use the right type of bit and maybe some type of lubricant. On the plus side you already have a pilot hole, and you only need to step up fraction of an inch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.