Palyed with the Bread Starter today

Started by Tenpoint5, September 24, 2011, 07:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

While I was siting in the rain watching soccer games today. My bread starter was being converted into Rolls. This aint Texas so the temps vary a wee bit more. The house is about an even 68º. So while the bread was doing its first rise I put it in the oven and turned on the light and left for the first game. Miss Vicky seen the light on and shut it off when she left. So my bread didn't rise as much as I would have liked after 6 hours. I pushed everything down and made a dozen rolls about the size of a trailerhitch ball. While I was making the rolls I turned on the oven to 100º let it heat up then shut it off. The rolls rose a lot better on the second rise. Then they did the baking thing. Here they are coming out.

Momma wanted me to flavor the tops of them So I mixed up some butter and Garlic and gave them a rub down.

They were pretty good. A little dense with not getting a good rise the first go round but they was still edible. Here is what they look like after a couple of them have been consumed. A normal butter knife standing straight up and down to show height of the rolls.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

Looks really good to me!  Love fresh baked rolls.

Smokin Soon

Could be any number ot things, are you using bottled water? What kind of flour? Should get more of a poof i would think. Work the dough a little more after the first rise, use the thumb and index finger on one hand and the other up the.....ohh just find it on youtube. The basics are it streatches out the outer surface. My pics are using a 9" round.

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Tenpoint5

I think was the problem SS I really didn't get a good rise the first time around. Like I say Just means I have to do it again. I am using Tap water and KA bread flour. I will leave the bottled water to the Cali folks. I figure they didn't have bottled water back when they first started making bread with this starter
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

deb415611

they look great Chris, even without the rise you were looking for

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on September 25, 2011, 07:22:46 AM
I think was the problem SS I really didn't get a good rise the first time around. Like I say Just means I have to do it again. I am using Tap water and KA bread flour. I will leave the bottled water to the Cali folks. I figure they didn't have bottled water back when they first started making bread with this starter

I use bottled water too, so it's not just a Cali thing 

I need to start the starter that Gary sent me ,  I want some rolls

Smokin Soon

My guess is that the stuff that they put in our water now, was not even invented yet. My tap water does not work well. My Grandma grew up making bread with well water. When city water came in she would only use the water leftover from boiling potatoes.

OU812

I use bottled water also, my well water is high in iron and the starter dont like that.

City water is treated with all kinds of stuff the starter dont like, some days it will work fine others not.

My mom has this starter also and using city water she was having mixed results, switched to  bottled water and now shes a happy camper.

Oh Ya the starter dont like water treated with reverse osmosis ether.