• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need help fast!

Started by jimmyb, September 28, 2011, 07:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmyb

I am about one hour into a smoke with my OBS with three pork butts in it. I have the added element mod. I just checked and the temp is sitting around 124*. I have the Auber set at 225. I noticed that the on/off switch on my added element is light but the original element light is not.

I felt the back of the smoker and if feels pretty hot. I never felt the back during a smoke so I don't know if that's normal. I am not prepared to take this thing apart at this time of night. So what should I do? Do I let this load of about 20# of pork ride with one element over night? Is the back of the smoker being hot ok? Hoe long is this safe for the meat to sit around 124*?

jimmyb

Ok, all seems to be ok now. I checked the door thermometer and it actually was reading about 225* where the Auber was reading 124*. I checked the position of the probe and it was hung up on one of the butts so it was getting a bad reading. The temp sensor of the original element must have kicked in turning the element off. I now see both elements working and temp is rising  as expected. Sorry for the panic!

Habanero Smoker

No apologies necessary. Glad to see it was just an error.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

No need to apologize. we have all been there. I freaked out last weekend when a short time into a brisket cook my smoke generator went off. Was about to panic when I checked and found I knocked the plug out of the PID.
Remember  that you can always take it out and put it in the kitchen oven if you have a problem.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Sunday I got the double H on my PID and the heat element wasn't getting hot. I was getting pi$$3d.  What's going on, come to find out, I forgot to plug in the temp probes in the back of the PID. Oversight cause I had my maverick probes also and in the tower. :rolleyes: :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike