• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Butt or Picnic Ham

Started by IKnowWood, December 11, 2005, 08:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IKnowWood

OK, I seen for the first time (with eyes enlightened now mind you) Partially cooked Pork Butt partial hams or Pork Shoulder Picnic hams.   In the ham isle, not with the raw pork items.  This is like a ham, much bigger and all have a bone in them.  They say partially cooked.

What can be done to these, other than add more smoke and then cook to temp?  And since it partially cooked, I assume up to 170 degrees.

Thanks.

I got a regular Ham (Cure 81), a London Broil and a Turkey Breast in the Bradley now.  We will eat the Turkey mixed with Camanelle pasta in a pasta salad or the Ham.  Depending when the Turkey gets done.  The London broil will be split between some great Chili and some spicy New Mexico Burrito's.

The Medina's in Maryland's Eastern Shore
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nsxbill

I would leave them on the meat counter and walk right by.  My read on most smoking is that the meat will absorb our smoke up to about 140° F.  After that we are just using a smoky low temp oven.  Go for the raw meat, brine or marinade overnight with rub and then smoke it low and slow.  Much better results.  Lots of techniques out there just by doing search for ham on the site.  Olds does his with T-shirt method.  You can search for T-shirt and it will come up.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

iceman

Yep. Ask Olds for sure. Stay away from that store bought stuff. Yukko factor is really high in those. Some of the stuff they put in there is like glow in the dark if ya know what I mean.[xx(]

JJC

Definitely make like Dionne Warwicke and "walk on by" that stuff!  Check out Olds' Double-Smoked T-Shirt Ham . . . [:p][:p]

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

IKnowWood

OK, so a cut that has been cooked to a level of 145 to 155 degrees, frozen, then thawed.  And if cooked again starting at 40 degrees smoked AGAIN for 4 hours or so and finished to proper temp in oven will NOT take on ANY new flavor, not even the slighted bit.  

From experience I do know that a fully cooked ham, smoked again to warm it up some does indeed take on some added flavor.  I am sure not as great as a complete from raw ham cut would taste great given time and availability.  But for a quick boost......  Maybe worth a try, I already glow at night so a little extra won't hurt.  

If all I want is a ham flavor but do not want to go thru the effort of a T-shirt and would like to use a product that exists and might taste good, even for a day.  Just want to kick it up a bit, this is to be overlooked?

One day I am sure to try a T-Shirt.  I love a good cured and properly smoked ham.  One day is will come to pass that I would have a hunk a ham smoking in some cloth in my smoker one day.

Thanks.

IKnowWood

JJC

IKW,

I think that what you will gain from your plan is two things:  adding smoke flavor to the outside of the ham (a small plus), and by drying it out a bit you will probably improve the texture and possibly concentrate some of the flavors, including the smoke flavor.  What we're sugesting is to get an uncooked ham and go from there.  But if you don't have the time, or you already have a cooked ham, then your plan will be better than nothing [:)].

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

whitetailfan

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JJC <font color="red">(and others)</font id="red"></i>
<br />What we're sugesting is to get an uncooked ham and go from there.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
To my knowledge, there is no such thing.  Any ham you buy (at least here in Canada) has to be hot smoked up to 150deg. (according to my local butcher) to fulfill food safety requirements.  To get around cooking the ham to 150, perhaps proper labelling of "partially cooked" is sufficient, therefore this might be a perfect piece of meat to work on.  Perhaps you are suggesting getting the raw meat, but that would require you to cure it yourself.

Unless I missed something, Olds double smoked t-shirt ham recipe starts with a fully cured and smoked ham off the shelf and then improves it.  If that works why would this not?

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

IKnowWood

I just went thru Olds t-shirt recipe and it sounds like i can easily do that with these Hams I found.  Different cuts are varied sizes that will work out real good.  hmm.  Thanks.

IKnowWood

jaeger

Check to see if the picnic still has the skin(rein) on. If it does, for sure, walk on by! Regardless, you are not really talking ham, you are talking soup meat. If that is what you want, go for it!!!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Thunder Fish

I have put "Partially cooked" bone in hams in the Bradley before and they come out great!This last thanksgiving I did not do one,the miss's and I had one with out it being double smoked and it was missing something.Full clove dress c/w maple syrup dizzeled on it than in the Bradley to a internal temp of 145-150 ish.
 I now have to figure how to do a full ham and a goose for xmas day? ? ?  Enjoy folks..................
Terry

JJC

WTF, you're right--I'm confusing raw pork and "partially cooked" and cured pork (ham).  Thanks for pointing that out!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA