• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

finally making smoke

Started by dick621, December 16, 2005, 01:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick621

Got my BS on the 12th,but due to a bad cold and a back injury I could'nt do anything about it till today.  Seasoned it for an hour with hicory.  
Now have a few cheese sticks in with some apple pucks.  Planning to smoke for about 1hr 40min.  Does this sound about right?

Found something I think is going to work great.  Costco sells SS racks with wheels.  I put togeather half a rack with 3 shelves and looks like it will be my permanent smoker rack.  Can wheel it out of the shop for use, and back in for storage.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

dick621, welcome to the forum, when you do your chease  unplug the smoker and only use the smoke genarator  (cold smoke ), 1 hour and 40 min might be to much but , you might like it, i smoke cheese for an hour max, dont taste it when its done you wont like it will taste like an ash tray, wrap it in suran wrap put in the fridge for a few days then taste it, it will be perfect,

dick621

Took your advice Rob.  Pulled the cheese sticks at 1hr, wrapped individually in saran wrap and put in fridge.  Will try and leave them alone for a couple of days.  May be hard to do tho.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

jaeger

No offense to anybody but,........Why wait?
Either you will like smoked cheese or you won't. You have to try it out of the smoker to be able to do any conparison.

I smoke cheese for 2 1/2 hours with alder, apple or pecan. The nice thing about smoking cheese, there are so many varieties you can smoke at the same time and there is nothing easier to clean up for sure. I usually have at least 3-4 people standing around waiting for samples the minute it's out of the smoker![:p][;)][8D]

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

dick621

Tryed some the next morning and it was good, but today was much better.The cheese I used was the sticks that come from costco and are only about 1/2 in. square so I only smoked for 1 hour.  Outside temp was about 15 deg. F and had to put bowl of ice in BS to keep temp. down.  Am going to do more to take to Christmas get togeather at my sisters on the 23rd.
Dick in Emmett, Idaho
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

nodak

newbie here.  Can you smoke any kind of cheese or need something special?[?][?][?]

Ignorance is blist, when your new, cuz you just don't know any better and people are forgiving to that.  But don't forget the golden rule that "people are stupid" so no use in getting mad.[8D][:D]

BigSmoker

Gouda is good and so is mozeralla and vermont aged white cheddar.  Of course that is just my opinion.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

JJC

I've been smoking a lot of cheese lately.  I like it smoky, so I usually smoke for about 3 hours. Smoke flavors are apple, maple, hickory, or oak. I wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the frig for a minimum of 3 days.  

My favorites are young gouda and edam, followed closely by cheddar (sharp and mild).  I've also had excellent results with Colby, Muenster, and Swiss.  Blue cheeses are so strong that they don't display the smoke flavor very well, but I'm going to try a 4-5 hr smoke with some blue one of these days.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I've been smoking a lot of cheese lately. I like it smoky, so I usually smoke for about 3 hours. Smoke flavors are apple, maple, hickory, or oak. I wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the frig for a minimum of 3 days. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I tend to smoke my cheese for 5 hours but that is personnal choice, this is good advice from John.

I've have done blue cheese for up to 5 hours but this is one cheese I prefer unsmoked,not impressed with smoked blue cheese at all.

The best setup for cold smoking cheese is:

http://www.johnwatkins.co.uk/personalpages/coldsmoking.htm

My favourite is mature cheddar, did about 16 blocks at the weekend for family and friends for Christmas.

Manxman.
Manxman