• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Mopping in a Bradley Electric Smoker?

Started by PaulMc, October 07, 2011, 05:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulMc

I did a search and did not find any hits on this question, so forgive me if this has already been asked. I bought the 4 rack digital smoker, which I absolutely love.  :) Last weekend I did my first Brisket and after it was in an hour or two I started to mop  it once an hour. The brisket came out totally moist and tender and we loved it.

Later that night I was reading in my Smoke & Spice book that you should never mop in an electric smoker.

Is it okay to mop in the Bradley electric smoker and do you cookers out there do it?

Thanks!
PaulMc
Thanks,
PaulMc

GusRobin

A lot of folks mop. I do occasionally on ribs. As long as your V tray is in correctly, your water bowl is full of water you shouldn't have any problems.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caneyscud

Some do, some don't.  No reason not to.  Just because of physics and heat transfer and such silly stuff, the act of mopping in a Bradley does likely cause the cook to last longer.  The Bradley doesn't have much heat storage mass so each time you open the door the hot air spills out and the smoker has to heat air again.  This is more pronounced at the first of a smoke when there is a large differential between the meat and the hot cabinet air.  As the smoke progresses, the differential is lessened and the effect of opening the door is minimalized.  I usually mop as that is the nature of my bbq history and I normally could care less about an extra amount of time (usually not substantial) needed for the smoke and I laugh in the face of temperature swings.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

PaulMc

Awesome,

Thanks all for the replies. I am thinking of trying a bone in ham this weekend. You know this hobby is adictive!  :)

Thanks,
PaulMc
Thanks,
PaulMc

Jim O

- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Caneyscud

What addiction - there ain't no stinkin' addiction

Newly diagnosed Bradley Syndrome. 

CAUSE: -  buying a Bradley, seasoning, worrying about the first cook, eating the first cook - then the symptoms come on.

1st symptom               Buying all the meat you can

2nd symptom              Just going to the grocery or Sams, strolling the meat market, just to "see" - can't buy any because
                                    freezer is full

3rd symptom               Bleary, hypnotic eyes from watching thermometer dials

4th symptom               Black stuff underneath the fingernails

5th symptom               Sweat tastes smokey

6th symptom               This constant huge $$$t eating grin! 

After all six symptoms manifest - there is no hope - you are a SMOKER!   We think there is no cure - we don't really know, because nobody has ever looked for one - so who cares?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

PaulMc

Ha ha, lol. Caney that cracked me up!

PaulMc
Thanks,
PaulMc