• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Outside Temps

Started by BostonButthead, October 19, 2011, 06:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BostonButthead

I have recently bought an OBS and live in the northeastern US. I'm new to using a smoker.

I have always grilled outside all year. I'm curious at what temperature does it usually become impossible to hot smoke and/or cold smoke with the OBS? Also note Boston is one of the windiest areas of the country.

I plan on replacing the heating element with the 900w. (It's currently sitting on the shelf daring me to wire it.)

Thanks.

GusRobin

the outside temps don't matter that much as does the wind. Preheat and you will be fine if you find a way to protect it against the wind. Some smoke in their garage (properly vented), buy a outdoor cabinet, or build something. But with having the 900 welement (or dual elements) the issue will be the wind.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

CoreyMac

I don't know about the Bradley smokers but if it hits -30c here I'm thinking just going outside in the cold is going to make it impossible for me. ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: CoreyMac on October 19, 2011, 06:44:16 AM-30c

Minus 30o??  That's not a temperature; temperatures are nice numbers between 70 and 90oF.  Lower numbers and (especially) negative numbers are not temperatures; they are evil representations of varying degrees of pain and misery.

Tenpoint5

Boston you will be fine even without an upgrade. Just try and keep the wind from blowing across the top of the unit. That will suck the heat out. Something as simple as a cardboard box opened up and sitting on top of the unit will do the trick.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

mikecorn.1

I've even used two Bradley bisquette boxes on top to block the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

CoreyMac

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 19, 2011, 08:58:06 AM
Quote from: CoreyMac on October 19, 2011, 06:44:16 AM-30c

Minus 30o??  That's not a temperature; temperatures are nice numbers between 70 and 90oF.  Lower numbers and (especially) negative numbers are not temperatures; they are evil representations of varying degrees of pain and misery.

If you've ever met a Canadian anytime from November to May, we are in a constant state of pain and misery.  ;D

Ka Honu

Quote from: CoreyMac on October 19, 2011, 09:33:59 AMIf you've ever met a Canadian anytime from November to May, we are in a constant state of pain and misery.

Actually I see lots of the smarter members of the species at that time of year.  They migrate to Hawaii and are called "snowbirds."

CoreyMac

Quote from: Ka Honu on October 19, 2011, 12:14:57 PM
Quote from: CoreyMac on October 19, 2011, 09:33:59 AMIf you've ever met a Canadian anytime from November to May, we are in a constant state of pain and misery.

Actually I see lots of the smarter members of the species at that time of year.  They migrate to Hawaii and are called "snowbirds."

Guess I'm one of the not so smart ones of the species, I have to stay home and work. ;) Not independently weathy (yet)

ArnieM

I agree with the wind.  In addition though you have to worry about the precip.  That's why some kind of shelter is good.  The pucks and electronics don't take well to freezing rain, snow or other miserable stuff.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: ArnieM on October 19, 2011, 01:31:26 PM
I agree with the wind.  In addition though you have to worry about the precip.  That's why some kind of shelter is good.  The pucks and electronics don't take well to freezing rain, snow or other miserable stuff.

Miserable stuff is translated to large chunks of Ice falling from your roof!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

BostonButthead

Thanks for the replies. I'll see what I can do about protection from the wind. It would explain how I couldn't even crack 200 on a day in the 60's last weekend. It was really blowing on Sunday.

As much as I wanted to get one of those outside cabinet/sheds I decided that being close enough to an outlet on the deck without having to use an extension cord was more desirable. So I will Rube a portable wind shield.

Do I have to worry about the smoke generator or does the loading tube and pucks do a good enough job against keeping the wind out?