• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

prime rib (help)

Started by obie27, December 23, 2005, 07:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obie27

I just bought a $135.00 Prime rib, and I have about 12 people coming for dinner for Christmas.  I need some advise on how to smoke this lovely piece for meat with out messing it up.  Iam new to smoking, so every little piece of info would be helpful!!!!

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

obie27 welcome to the fourm, click on this link lots of good info about prime rib. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2651

owrstrich

i have done the rib roast a few times... select... choice... prime...

chezz is right on about the lipton onion soup mix and not overcooking...

dont let the roast touch the sides of the bs... make sure it will fit on a rack... you want it to go wall to wall but not touch... if too wide you must trim to fit...

my best effort was this...

sliced between the bones and the roast... rubbed into the cut and rolled the roast and in lipton onion soup mix with black pepper and garlic powder... tied the bones to the roast... tied it all up in a plastic supermarket bag in fridge for 2 days...

let roast come to room temp... out of fridge for 2 or 3 hours... fired up puck burner and heat element... slider all way hot... pre heated to 300 deg or as hot as it would go... vent closed...

now let me say right now... low and slow... low and slow... except the rib roast needs hot hot hot... in my opioion... everything else... low and slow... low and slow...

slide a puck on the burner and slide in the beast rib bones down... do it fast... dont lose the heat... anyway... the temp will fall... vent 1/3 open... temp will fall as roast absorbs heat...

4 hours of smoke... i use hickory... or until internal hits 135 internal on select and choice or 130 on prime... everytime i have done rib roast it has been a 4 to 5 hour cook... so it goes very quick...

the reason i switched from low and slow on the rib roast to hot hot hot is because low and slow rendered great innerds but the crust was not great...

hot hot hot renders me great innerds and great crust...

now about ftc... wrap that beast and ftc between 2 to 6 hours... i almost always ftc for 4 to 8 hours anymore... why the long ftc... because that ftc really freaks me out...

mix up some horseraddish and some sour cream... cut off the bones... cut roast into 12 equal sized slabs... you wont even need a knife...

now... i would get 7 bones per rack... so if you have 12 bones on 2 racks... everyone gets a bone... if you dont have 12 bones to share... eat them your bad smokin azz self...

dont worry... 4 hrs smoke... slider all way right... pull at 130-135 and ftc and you can not... can not... screw it up...

you gotts to eat the beast...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Shawn!  You can tell therer's great advice here.  Let us know how your prime rib turns out.

Owstrich, that is a veritable treatise on smokin' a prime rib of beef!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

BigSmoker

My 2 pennies would be to cold smoke this guy for 2-3 hours using hickory or oak.  then transfer directly to a grill that is running at 5-600f.  sear all sides.  Remove the roast from the heat until the grill is at appx 350-375f.  Return to grill and cook until center is 130f.  Let roast rest for 15 minutes under foil tent.  slice and serve.  If I had the time I would cold smoke then wrap in plastic wrap and in the fridge for 1-2 days then grill as describes as above.  Keep the seasonings simple S&P garlic and maybe a touch of rosemary.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.