• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoke tri tip

Started by JKF, December 24, 2005, 05:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JKF

how long to smoke 3 tri tips

KEITH

owrstrich

jkf...

low and slow... low and slow... low and slow...

do you have the big fat round roast or the triangular cut or long skinny cut...

i have done all three before and the cook time is a little different for each... if the big fat roast is a 10 pounder it will take as long as 8 hours... if triangular at 6 lbs as long as 5 hours... if long skinny at 4 lbs as long as 4 hours...

all weights and times are approx for room temp beast... 200 smoker... 135 internal...  the more tritips... the more weight... the more time...

i put the rubb on and tie it up in a plastic supermarket bag in the fridge for 2 days... then i let it come up to room temp... out of the fridge for 2 or 3 hours before loading smoker...

i slide 4 hrs of hickory in the chute and pre heat to 200...

slide a rack of cheap bacon or pepperoni on the top and the tritips on lower racks... hit the puck skooter... vent 1/3 open... keep smoker at 200... change waste water when last puck is spent... wait for 135 internal... pull the beast and ftc between 2 to 6 hours...

slice thin... slice thin... slice thin...

good with some q on the bun... good with some horseraddish on the plate... good just about anyway even with onions and peppers philly style...

i dig this sh1t... and besides... you gotts to eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

JJC

Welcome, Keith--there's lots of good advice here.  Owstrich is spot-on . . . BigSmoker may some other ideas, too . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

JKF how did the tri tips turn out?

JKF

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />JKF how did the tri tips turn out?

just in time for xmas it was great thanks so much!!!!!!!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:)]

KEITH

BigSmoker

I usually grill my tri-tips hot and fast at 550°f all sides for 2 minutes.  Pull from the grill and let it rest until cooker gets down to 375-400°f normally about 15 minutes or so.  Put it back on and roast to 135°f.  Let it rest again foe 10-15 minutes then slice across the grain as thin as possible.  Makes a fantastic sandwich.  I usually prep it before hand with some Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express.  That gives it a nice rich exterior crust[:p][:p][:p].  Now when I do pot roast I also use a tri-tip.  I smoke it for 2.5-3 hrs using hickory or oak.  Then add to the crockpot and cook it untill it falls apart.  Best pot roast I have ever eaten[8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.