Bratwurst test run

Started by MTFiddler, November 07, 2011, 07:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTFiddler

I was going into sausage making withdrawals so I decided to test run some brat spice mixes I picked up from Midwestern Research out of Wichita.

Both 5# batches started with 3.5#of pork shoulder and 1.5# beef trim ground thru a 1/4 inch plate.

spices were added to each batch and allowed to mingle for about 1 hour.

then each batch was stuffed into 32-35mm hog casings.

The apple brat was stuffed using the stuffing attachment that came with my grinder. Let me just say that my dad was very wise when he told me that God only made one thing that has a dual purpose, and that is obviously not a stuffer attached to a grinder.  Although I did manage to get the sausage stuffed into the casings I fought it from the start and the mix appeared to emulsify as it passed down the auger and thru the horn.

the other batch, Jerry's brat mix, was stuffed using the cannon, much better texture as is visible thru the casing.

Although, as you can see, I learned very quickly that the finer texture that was created by using the grinder attachment did allow for better twisting to make the individual links.  Whereas the courser (and consequently firmer) texture of the second batch created blowouts.

After grilling

and tasting

I have to say that the apple brat was better tasting. The milder flavors tasted more like what my mind thought a brat should taste like, whereas Jerry's brat seemed too salty and I couldn't really taste any of the other spices.

IT WAS FUN ALL THE SAME,  where else can you have this much fun and not get thrown in the hoosegow.

Lon

Stickbowcrafter

That looks mighty fine, nice job. I, too, struggled with the stuffer attachment on my grinder early on in my sausage escapades. Didn't take me long to invest in a proper stuffer though.

-Brian

Tater

Those look awesome!  Now I know what my next sausage project is going to be.  My sons come over every year to make a couple batches of brats for super bowl.  Now I'm going to have to sneak in a batch to hold off the cravings.

NePaSmoKer

ghost9mm

Dang !!! them is lookin really good, heck of a job...well done..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

Fisher

Well done...I have to try smoking some sausage. Look awesome.

Happy Smoking

Tenpoint5

MTF
The finer texture wasn't what helped in the prevention of blowouts. What helped was the extra time it took you to wrestle the meat in and through the grinder. The Brats you stuffed with the cannon where stuffed too tight in the casing. When you went to twist you just created too much pressure in the twist and that caused the blow outs. The next time your stuffing give the casing a slight pinch about where you expect to do the twisting. This will pull off a little extra casing and make you linking process a little smoother. Just an observation.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeNcanuck

mmmmmm, brats!  Looks great!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

SiFumar

MTFiddler

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 09, 2011, 03:19:48 PM
MTF
The finer texture wasn't what helped in the prevention of blowouts. What helped was the extra time it took you to wrestle the meat in and through the grinder. The Brats you stuffed with the cannon where stuffed too tight in the casing. When you went to twist you just created too much pressure in the twist and that caused the blow outs. The next time your stuffing give the casing a slight pinch about where you expect to do the twisting. This will pull off a little extra casing and make you linking process a little smoother. Just an observation.

Thanks for the help, that would make sense.  Pinch close to all the way thru?

Lon

pikeman_95

Lon

Here is a link of pinching the sausage coming off the stuffer. You give them a big thumb and fore finger pinch to make some room in the casing for the twist.

http://s943.photobucket.com/albums/ad274/pikeman_95/?action=view&current=STUFFINGGERMANFRANKFURTERS.mp4

Kirby

MTFiddler

Quote from: pikeman_95 on November 10, 2011, 06:19:00 AM

Here is a link of pinching the sausage coming off the stuffer. You give them a big thumb and fore finger pinch to make some room in the casing for the twist.

Kirby,

Thanks, that should be relatively easy. It was sure fustrating to have the blowouts, although the end result as far as taste made it worth it.

Lon