Newbie to the electric mode!!

Started by Quiggs, December 02, 2011, 06:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiggs

While I have smoked on WSM's, UDS,s and soon to be BGE...I just aquired a Bradley for the backyard ease of daily smoking..  Only done two smokes so far (both pork butts) and as I type trying to get 4 butts up to temp in 50 degree outdoor temp for a Pop Warner fundraier tomorrow morning.   Look forward to learning the in's & out's of the Bradley...

Quiggs

KyNola

Welcome.  First question I have is when did you put those 4 butts in the Bradley if you're wanting them good to go tomorrow morning?  4 butts in a Bradley depending on the weight and other variables can take somewhere between 16-24 hours.

If you are through your smoking period you might consider transferring those butts to your house oven to finish them.  You're cooking 4 butts with the equivalent of 5 100 watt lightbulbs.

Quiggs

Thanks so much for that explanation!!  I wondered how much heat that single element could produce..  I am now done with the smoke part and oven may be my next plan..  I wont need meat done until morning so I will see how they proceed this evening...

Quiggs

KyNola

Quiggs, all of those butts are going to stall somewhere between the 150-165 internal temp mark and may stay there for as much as 4 or more hours before starting up again.  DON'T bump the cook temp up.  The stall is when the magic happens to a butt.

If you need those butts to be ready tomorrow MORNING and they are through the smoke period I would consider moving them to your house oven to finish.  Set it at 250 and let them go.  Do you have a meat thermometer to measure the internal temp of the butts?

You didn't answer the question as to when you started them so I'm sort of shooting in the dark here.

Quiggs

All to familiar with the stall issue, we do BBQ comps a couple of times a year.  Stall is a scarry thing sometimes when the clock is ticking..  I did remove the butts and finish in the oven, turned out great but I had not realized the heating limits to the Bradley (wish it had two elements!)...  Even when meat was up to 165 and I had temp setting at 300 "room" temp never got above 234.. I have second thermometer in door to double check and it matched digital reding within a few degrees... Overall cook was 12 hours including oven..  Doing two more overnight to play again!!

Quiggs

Leadfoote

beefmann

welcome aboard and lots of good information here

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum, lots of helpful folks here...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

viper125

Quote from: Quiggs on December 03, 2011, 07:06:06 PM
All to familiar with the stall issue, we do BBQ comps a couple of times a year.  Stall is a scarry thing sometimes when the clock is ticking..  I did remove the butts and finish in the oven, turned out great but I had not realized the heating limits to the Bradley (wish it had two elements!)...  Even when meat was up to 165 and I had temp setting at 300 "room" temp never got above 234.. I have second thermometer in door to double check and it matched digital reding within a few degrees... Overall cook was 12 hours including oven..  Doing two more overnight to play again!!

Quiggs

Look in the recipe site as there are mods for more elements available
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Quiggs

Thanks Viper!! Going to look into that...