• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Andouille

Started by ratherbboating, November 12, 2011, 02:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratherbboating

I am going to make Andouille soon and looking for peoples comments about different recipes.  The one on NOLA Cuisine is what I am considering.  I look at some of the past postings and people seem to like that one.  Comments??

Made Sonora Chorizo (from Len Poli's site) last weekend, like it. (No money shot, main computer crashed and the pictures on it)  One mistake on my part,cayenne is not a sub for guaijillo pepper.  The heat was OK with me, but my wife did not like it hot.  Will make again before Christmas and this time us guaijilllo pepper.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child

jiggerjams

I did a recipe out of the book Charcuterie. Nice smokey flavor.

DisplacedCoonass

The one on NOLA Cuisine is decent (and my building base), but I found it lacking certain flavors that I can't quite put my finger on.  One thing I have found is that the black pepper in most recipes is overpowering if using "fresh ground".  My last batch, I used pre-ground store bought black pepper and still has to much of a forward taste so I'll be scaling that back even more.  It's good, but not quite there yet.  The ratios I used were:
Weight of meat x: .024 salt, .003 paprika, .025 fresh garlic, .007 b. powder, .001 crushed red pepper, .002 cayenne, .05 water, .005 onion powder, .0025 cure

I also put in a 1/4 tsp or so of gumbo file', it was a last minute addition that I didn't ratio out.  I'm not sure it made a noticeable difference in the flavor.  I also think one of my flaws is a lack of fat.  While not dry or crumbly, there is a lack of fattiness being rendered out when I cook them.

ratherbboating

I made the andouille, turn out good.  Lots of smoke and good tatse.  But as noted could have used something else.
The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you've got to have a what-the-hell attitude. Julia Child