• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First try at snack sticks

Started by kfin, December 13, 2011, 03:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

After many hours of reading all of the hints, tips and suggestions about snack sticks on here, I finally took the plunge. I have gotten a couple of deer so far and needed to try something new.

I made 2 5 pound batches using the LEM regular mix and the pizza mix. Used buttermilk instead of water and mixed the cure separately with 2 tablespoons of water. (Thanks for that tip NEPAS) Mixed it all up and let sit in the fridge overnight. Stuffed the next morning in 19 mm casings.

not too bad on the stuffing part, the second batch went smoother than the first

kfin

Into the smoker they go for 1 hour dry time at 130

kfin

After drying, I put the smoke to them for 1:30 at 140, then bumped to 150 for 1 hour. Took them out and dunked into a hot water bath. I checked the internal temp and they were at 112......15 minutes later they were at 154 so out they came. Then I dropped them into a cold water bath for about 15 minutes.

hot water bath

cold water bath

kfin

Then they bloomed for a couple of hours..........

kfin

kfin

Probably won't do the pizza sticks again, they were like pepperoni so I might as well just use a pepperoni recipe. However, the LEM 116 was a keeper with the buttermilk switch. I will definately make this one again but the next few try's will be with NEPAS Secret Recipe and Greg's Spicy Stick recipe.

They turned out really well for my first time. Of course the directions you get on here, if followed, make it kind of hard to screw up. :)

Everyone really likes them but all ask me the same question.......why are they so big? I used the 19mm collagen casing that all of you talk about and must admit, I wondered the same thing when I stuffed them. Why does everyone use such a big casing for a snack stick instead of one the size of a normal slim jim?

Anyway, thanks for all of the information on here. I will be making more breakfast sausage and snack sticks this weekend......and will probably have to go shoot a couple of does with my bow to keep my friends in supply.

Keith

Sailor

Looks like you did a fine job on your first batch.  That stuffing part takes some time to get down but the more you do it the better the results.  I never gave a water bath to mine but they look like they came out good.  I may try it on my next batch.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

SiFumar

OU812

Skip the water bath and cook longer in the smoker at a lower temp and you will have a Slim Jim.

Theres a difference between a Snack stick and a Slim Jim

Just sayin.  ;D

Keymaster

Those do look excellent!!!! I like to do my snack stix all the way in the bradley until an IT of 152? F. I just like the wrinkley raisan affect on the casings. Nice Job !!!!

kfin

Quote from: OU812 on December 13, 2011, 06:55:50 PM
Skip the water bath and cook longer in the smoker at a lower temp and you will have a Slim Jim.

Just sayin.  ;D

So if I want more of a slim jim sometime, what temps and smoke times should I use?

NePaSmoKer

OU812

Quote from: kfin on December 13, 2011, 07:21:30 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 13, 2011, 06:55:50 PM

Just sayin.  ;D

So if I want more of a slim jim sometime, what temps and smoke times should I use?

Place your sticks in the smoker preheated to 110 F and let dry for 1 hr then start your smoke.

After the smoke time dump the water pan and put back empty.

Keep the smoker at 110 for 8 hr then gradually raise the smoker to 155 and hold it there till the IT of your sticks are 145.

Take outta the smoker and allow to cool at room temp.

Takes a wile but they will look just like slim jims.

ghost9mm

Them sticks look really good, nice job and enjoy them..
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill