• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

electric range smoker (conversion)

Started by newtter, December 23, 2011, 04:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newtter

Got sick of not having enough heat in my original Bradley smoker,dealing with all the problems,trying to adjust the heat to the temp. disired.I got myself an old electric range that the oven still works.Cut a 4" hole with a holesaw in the side,attached a 4" stove pipe inside the hole (just long enough to cover the insulation between  the two layers of metal).Attached the Bradley smoke box the side of the oven with two large headed screws so it hangs like it did on the original.Fixed the smoke divert er above the hole.Placed the water bowl in the bottom.Set it outside my garage,plugged it into my 220 outlet for my welder and PRESTO!!!! the perfect electric smoker.Set the temp at what you want and it stays right there because of its thermostat just as your oven in your house.You cant get anymore user friendly than that.

Jim O

Hey there !

Welcome!

Sounds good !

Got any pictures ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

SouthernSmoked

SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

KyNola

I gotta tell you, that's pretty clever!  Could you post some pics please?

TedEbear

Quote from: newtter on December 23, 2011, 04:30:43 AM
Got sick of not having enough heat in my original Bradley smoker,dealing with all the problems,trying to adjust the heat to the temp.

Hmm...adding a second element and a $45 PID controller would have solved most of those OBS problems.

Anyway, post pics of your conversion.  I'm always interested to see what others come up wth.

ArnieM

Quote from: TedEbear on December 23, 2011, 09:56:51 AM
Hmm...adding a second element and a $45 PID controller would have solved most of those OBS problems.

Fortunately, the door doesn't normally fall off of an electric range  ;D

I'd be curious if it could hold a low enough temp, say 215-240, reliably.  Most ovens when going that low have quite a large temp swing.  Check it out with an oven thermometer or probe.

Anyway, congrats on your creativity.  I, like others, would like to see pics.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

newtter

Just smoked another 30 lbs. of summer sausage.Checked oven temp with a probe and found it to be very accurate.Started out at 150 for the first hour then went up to 175 for 2 hours,200 for 1 hour and 225 until meat reached 165. All temps seemed to be accurate within 5 degrees.

TedEbear