• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Oh Oh - Wrong Casing for Potato Sausage!

Started by anderson5420, December 23, 2011, 03:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

So, I did my usual Christmas batch of korva - Swedish Potato Sausage - today, but did not check my casing supply before I got past the point of no return!  I usually use either natural hog casings or fresh sausage collagen casings, 32 mm.  All I had was 32 mm smoked sausage collagen casings, so I used them.  Obviously not the right texture at all, but who knows, maybe it will turn out fine.  The Scandahoovians (my wife's relatives) just boil the Bejesus out of them anyway, so maybe nobody will notice!  Going to try one tonight.

3 lb ground beef
3 lb ground pork
3 lb potatoes minced in Cuisinart
1 onion minced in Cuisinart
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp allspice

The yield was 8 1 lb rings. 
So many recipes, so little time!

devo

Sounds good. Do you cook the potatoes before hand?

anderson5420

No, the potatoes go into the meat mixture raw.  The meat and potatoes all cook when you cook the sausage. 

It actually turned out great, too, everybody loved it tonight.  We'll be serving a couple of more rings tomorrow at the traditional family Christmas Eve dinner, and we'll just boil the crap out of them like we always do!

3rensho

When I make a big batch of potato sausage (can't have Xmas without it) I usually smoke about a third of it,  Great snack cut into coins and served at room temp.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

DisplacedCoonass

Ok, so when you say minced in the Cuisinart....do you mean with the shredder blade or just in the bowl and pulsed until small?

CoreyMac

anderson5420

Correct, peeled, cut into small cubes, into the Cuisinart with the blade, and pulsed until they are small bits but not reduced to liquid.

Quote from: DisplacedCoonass on December 24, 2011, 06:44:29 AM
Ok, so when you say minced in the Cuisinart....do you mean with the shredder blade or just in the bowl and pulsed until small?

anderson5420

So, this is fresh sausage - no cure.  Do you add cure or smokem uncured? I might give this a try...

Quote from: 3rensho on December 23, 2011, 10:45:04 PM
When I make a big batch of potato sausage (can't have Xmas without it) I usually smoke about a third of it,  Great snack cut into coins and served at room temp.

3rensho

anderson5420

OK then!  Rytek is probably turning over in his grave at your words,but I may have to try this the next time!

Quote from: 3rensho on December 24, 2011, 11:16:04 PM
Hot smoked 'em uncured.  Delicious

3rensho

QuoteRytek is probably turning over in his grave at your words...

Probably true.  I've been making and smoking sausage for about 50 years.  Only in the last 10 years or so did I get fancy and started using cure.  Never had a problem.  Either I have a guardian angel or someone up there takes care of the ignorant.  ;D ;D

anderson5420

Yodel-odel-ay-hee-hoo!

Quote from: 3rensho on December 28, 2011, 10:55:20 PM

Probably true.  I've been making and smoking sausage for about 50 years.  Only in the last 10 years or so did I get fancy and started using cure.  Never had a problem.  Either I have a guardian angel or someone up there takes care of the ignorant.  ;D ;D

FLBentRider

The way I understand it, you only need the cure if you are going to smoke the sausage at low temps for a long time. At a cabinet temp less than 200.

If you are going to "hot smoke" at temps of 225F or or so, you don't need cure.

The reason is that the meat spends a lot less time in the "danger zone" during the hot smoke, so the cure is not needed.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

anderson5420

No doubt correct, but we typically do low temp smoking - dry at 130 degrees, raise gradually to 160 degrees, cook to internal temp of 152 degrees - seems like cure would be called for, no?

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 30, 2011, 07:02:55 PM

The way I understand it, you only need the cure if you are going to smoke the sausage at low temps for a long time. At a cabinet temp less than 200.

If you are going to "hot smoke" at temps of 225F or or so, you don't need cure.

The reason is that the meat spends a lot less time in the "danger zone" during the hot smoke, so the cure is not needed.