• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maintaining a steady temp

Started by firefigther12000, December 16, 2011, 07:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

Apples to apples, the Auber plug and play is $140 - $185, $45 gets you the Auber controller, you buy the probe, wire up the connections to the 110 plug and socket for smoker. The Ranco comparable to the plug and play Auber was $75.

Quote from: TedEbear on December 21, 2011, 07:19:26 AM
Quote from: anderson5420 on December 20, 2011, 09:12:34 PM
I got a Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller from Grainger, it is certainly the best purchase I have made, quite a bit less than the plug and play Auber PID. Both work great.

How much did it cost?  Auber has PID controllers for $45.  I installed one in my SG box.  Nice and compact and works just fine.
So many recipes, so little time!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 21, 2011, 07:46:06 PM
Apples to apples, the Auber plug and play is $140 - $185, $45 gets you the Auber controller, you buy the probe, wire up the connections to the 110 plug and socket for smoker. The Ranco comparable to the plug and play Auber was $75.

I got a Ranco Electronic Temperature Controller from Grainger, it is certainly the best purchase I have made, quite a bit less than the plug and play Auber PID. Both work great.

How much did it cost?  Auber has PID controllers for $45.  I installed one in my SG box.  Nice and compact and works just fine.

Which Ranco model did you purchase? A while back I bought the ETC-111000-000 for a little over $50,  to control my dry cure cabinet. Though I see that over the years there prices have gone up. Are you still making fermented sausages and dry curing meats. And if so are you using the Ranco for both smoking and dry curing?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

TedEbear

You can still buy the $45 Auber PID and ALL related parts to make it work in the Bradley for less than $75.  I did.

anderson5420

It is the ETC 111000-000. So far I only use it with the Bradley.

I have not done any charcuterie since the heart episode, but I really want to get back to it, I think the next up will be some more Tuscan salami from Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie, then some coppa.

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 22, 2011, 01:51:00 AM

Which Ranco model did you purchase? A while back I bought the ETC-111000-000 for a little over $50,  to control my dry cure cabinet. Though I see that over the years there prices have gone up. Are you still making fermented sausages and dry curing meats. And if so are you using the Ranco for both smoking and dry curing?

Habanero Smoker

The reason I was asking, is that because the Ranco can control either a heating device or a cooling device (depending on which mode you set it), you have two features in one. So it can do double duty; which is a money saver.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

anderson5420

Yes, it can. You hit the "set" button and shows current temp, then it advances through heat or cool, target temp and plus/minus limits. What I would really like though is a humidistat...

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 25, 2011, 01:49:54 AM
The reason I was asking, is that because the Ranco can control either a heating device or a cooling device (depending on which mode you set it), you have two features in one. So it can do double duty; which is a money saver.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 26, 2011, 09:48:09 AM
Yes, it can. You hit the "set" button and shows current temp, then it advances through heat or cool, target temp and plus/minus limits. What I would really like though is a humidistat...

I have the Green Air Products THC-1. It is not digital, but I am very please with its performance. It is a total humidity controller; you can humidify or dehumidify.

I
         don't
                   inhale.