• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First brisket in new OBS

Started by smitttykid, January 03, 2012, 05:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitttykid

Here I go.  My 1st brisket is 4.64 lbs.  I'm only doing the one at this time.  I have broken in the smoker as per the instructions from Bradley.  I don't have a PID or anything fancy yet.  Which rack position should I use if I am only smoking 1 brisket?  What temp should I preheat OBS to?  Without any fancy temp control, I'm kinda winging it here-but I can't wait to get started.  I don't want a super heavy smoke flavor.  How long should I have the SG run for a medium smoke flavor? And as a rule of thumb, at what temp shoud I keep the OSB during smoking/cooking and for how long? At this time
I have hickory and mesquite bisquettes.  I think I'm going with straight hickory for my first attempt. I plan on using a mustard/dry rub which I am applying today.  I'll wrap it in plastic wrap & refrigerate overnight and start smoking tomorrow.
     Please help this rookie !   Thanks, Smitty

beefmann

id go with 2 hours of hickory , Box temp of 225... and in about 4  to 5 hours of cook time check the internal temp hopefully it  will be around 195 to 200... run the top vent  wide open

smitttykid

Thanks beefman.  I'll give it a try tomorrow & post the results.  Does it matter which rack position I use?  Thanks, Smitty

devo

For single meat pieces I like to use the middle of the smoker myself but that,s just me.

PapaC

Welcome smittykid from newbie to another. I haven't had my OBS very long either, but the first thing I did was buy an "in use" digital probe thermometer. "in use" means it stays in the fattest part of the meat while you're smoking. You run the cord out the vent and set the read-out unit on the SG. It has been my best friend and best decision I made, taking the guess work out of how long to smoke/cook. It's especially important to get fowl up to 160 deg. I smoked a ribeye roast the day after Christmas, rubbing the night before like you, then smoked for 2 hrs, continued cooking to 140, and then took it out and covered in foil for 1/2 hr. Turned out perfect! Search and browse this forum, you'll learn a ton. Good luck.
I'm just a social smoker, I can quit any time I want.