• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

tying before or after?

Started by slc smoke, January 13, 2012, 08:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slc smoke

wondering if its better to tie or band your cb before or after curing?  last time i did it after and it seemed like it had its mind up on its shape but i see you all have nice round shape yours.

La Quinta

I assume cb means Canadian bacon and not corned beef? If so...I tie mine when I cure it...then re tie it when I smoke...an extra step I know...

Habanero Smoker

I tie mine after curing. I want to eliminate the possibility that compressing the meat by tying will interfere with the curing. If it seem oblong, you can generally use firm pressure to reform it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

La Quinta

I did that first time Habs...but I found it cured exactly the same both ways and I got a more roundish product at the end...it is appearence...nothing more...

SouthernSmoked

Quote from: La Quinta on January 14, 2012, 02:32:37 AM
I did that first time Habs...but I found it cured exactly the same both ways and I got a more roundish product at the end...it is appearence...nothing more...

I've only done Canadian Bacon 3 times but I've always tie mine after the curing but LQ this makes sense and I will be trying this the next time....Thanks
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

slc smoke

awesome...thanks guys .  its to late on this batch but on the next i will tie up pre brine cause it seems to be easier to influence shape

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: La Quinta on January 14, 2012, 02:32:37 AM

A few members do that. But I'll stick with my old habits  :) , I know what can happen (at times); when there is too much pressure on the meat. Appearance it not the reason I tie; it is to make the shape more uniform so the meat cook more evenly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)