• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

First Attempt at Pepperoni - Original Wild West kit -Help!

Started by REPO, January 14, 2012, 01:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REPO

My wife bought me a pepperoni kit for Christmas. The brand name is "Original Wild West" the kit came with the seasoning, cure, and 23 mm casings. The instructions are pretty vague. They say, "grind your meat. Mix cure and seasoning together with the cold water. Add to the ground meat and mix. Stuff meat into casings. Sausage needs to be dry to the touch before starting the smoke, approx 30 minutes. Smoking is optional."

Now I understand all of that. My question is temps. Is this a cured type kit that doesn't require cooking? Or am I supposed to bring it up to a certain internal temp? If smoking is optional, and they mention nothing of cooking or oven temp, etc, it appears that they are just ready to go.  Have any of you guys used this brand before! She picked it up at Cabelas.

Thanks in advance!

Piker

You should get the i.t. to about 152f,remove give them a ice water bath to stop cooking and then let bloom to a nice colour. The only uncooked sausage there is fresh which you can or cannot add cure #1. Most people do not altho I do as it gives it a nice color and a distinctive flavour. Thks Piker

REPO

This kit does have cure with it that I am supposed to add to the mixture. Just find it odd that the instructions say nothing about the IT.

Any recommendations on type and amount of smoke to give them?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: REPO on January 15, 2012, 04:54:01 AM
This kit does have cure with it that I am supposed to add to the mixture. Just find it odd that the instructions say nothing about the IT.

Any recommendations on type and amount of smoke to give them?

How many pounds you making.

REPO

Probably just do a 3 pound batch for my first attempt, in case something goes wrong.

REPO

Any other last suggestions before I dive into this, this coming weekend?