• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I need help again-----

Started by smitttykid, January 19, 2012, 02:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smitttykid

I want to smoke 2 racks of pork loin baby back ribs.  One rack weighs 2.65 lb. and the other one is 2.85 lb.  Pretty close in size.  They are dry rubbed/plastic wrapped and sitting in the fridge.  I'm a little confused in regard to figuring out the IT on ribs.  There's not much meat to stick the probe in to.  I don't have a PID - just a digital remote thermometer and the temp gauge on the door of the OBS.  I've learned to preheat the cabinet and the puck burner for a good 20 minutes.  I plan on using the middle two racks.  i can get a rack of ribs on each rack if I bend them in the middle.  I'll probably smoke for 2 hours and I'm not sure how much extra cook time in the OBS.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks again, Smitty

DTAggie

I don't do ribs by IT*.  Lots of people use 3-2-1 method.  3 hrs of smoke, 2 hrs wrapped in foil, then 1 hour out of foil.  On baby backs I am more a 2-2-1 person.  You will see the meat pulling back from the bone and know that they are done then.

mikecorn.1

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

GusRobin

ditto --when doing the 2 hour foil I put a tablespoon of butter, drizzle some honey on the ribs and light sprinkle of brown sugar. double foil and put in meat side down.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: GusRobin on January 19, 2012, 02:39:59 PM
ditto --when doing the 2 hour foil I put a tablespoon of butter, drizzle some honey on the ribs and light sprinkle of brown sugar. double foil and put in meat side down.
Ohhhhh yeahhhhh.  That's how I do'em now. :D.  DITTO

Mike

ghost9mm

Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

smitttykid

Thanks guys, I really like the 2-2-1 method.  I think I'll start them early tomorrow morn & have ribs for lunch.  I'll report back.  You guys are the best !  Smitty

mikecorn.1

Post some pics if ya can.

Mike

smitttykid

Well gang, the ribs turned out really well.  I rotated the racks about halfway through.  One thing I forgot was to slather them with mustard before I applied the dry rub.  Next time, I'll remember the mustard.  I was going to take pictures, but the ribs were gone before I could find the camera !  Thanks again, Smitty

SnellySmokesEm

No Pics, didnt happen....

glad to hear everything went well.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist