Trying ribs for first time

Started by nodak, January 21, 2006, 04:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nodak

OK, just wanted run this by and see if I'm missing something here. How many hours of hickory smoke???

-smoke at 200F, just dry rub for me newbie
-2 hours of smoke?[?] Vent1/2 open?
-splash w/apple juice at 3+ hoursVent full open?
-cook to 187F
-FTC w/splash apple juice for 1 hr minimum mandatory[:)].
-eat, might grill one over hot flame first.
-Say I knew exactly what I was doing or blame you all if I mess up[:D],

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

willis5

Hey, I hope they reply soon as I am a newbie myself. I did cook some ribs last weekend and I followed the recipe in the booklet that comes with the smoker. It said to pre-cook the ribs for 1 hr at 350 deg. and then smoke at 220deg for 3 hrs. That is what I did and the ribs were perfect. Meat was very esily pulled from the bone. I just think that if you put the raw ribs into the smoker to hot smoke/ cook them, you will have to leave them in there for a LONG time. Especially when you keep opening the unit to spray apple juice. I saw somewhere on here wher ethey said that every time you open, add 30 minutes to you cook time.
-Willis

IKnowWood

I am surely no expert.  I have been cooking ribs for a few years.  Mostly on the Grill with pans with wood chips (Pre-Bradley of course).  I preferred Baby-Backs as I like the taste and feel.  And think it takes the rub and any sauce I would use real nice.

I have made mistakes by using a rub that had to much sugar or sugary components.  It makes the ribs way to sweet.  

On the Bradley, I did similar to what my father-in-law did but a different recipe.  I am happy with my resuts.

Either case I never pre-cooked them in the oven or boiled.  I wanted a rub so did not want to pre-cook it or wash it off.

What I can take as an idea is use your own rub or something that looks good as a rub + Mop + Sauce or any combination of that.  You don't need to use a probe to test internal meat temp, its real hard and somewhat prone to error do to probe area and width variation of rib meat.  Use the twist and bone expose as your test.

The type of rib changes your rough time of length.  Some only 4 hours, most 5 hours.  cab temp is important to not dry out.  Not to high, 190 to 210 is best.  You can spritz or mop, but not often at all.  You do not want to extent the time much.  

As for how long to smoke, 2 to 3 hours sounds OK.  This is more up to your experimentation, rub, and taste.

Vent, I would not mess with much, unless you have a lot of ribs in there, thenn you do need it wider as there is a lot more moist meat in there.  If you have alot (more than 2 or 3 racks) then use a wider vent.  Other wise, 2-3 racks..  put the vent about 1/3 and leave it alone during the entire period.

But hey, I am not expert.  This makes logical sense to me.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nodak

The ribs turned out fine they were only as good as you get at say some chain restaurant.  I did not achieve that fall off bone ribs.  They were good, but not excellent. They weren't overly dry. I used the award winning dry rub and thought it was pretty good.

They were baby loin back ribs from Sam's. I had only one rack in.  I cooked at 195 for 3 hours than sprinkled apple juice than turned up to 200.  Took about 6 hours total and 2 hours FTC.

Will have to practice on some more. I think, I'll also use a mop next time and close up vent more.  Also will close vent to 1/3 and leave it there.  I may try a different rub next time maybe that really made the outside tougher with all sugar/salt pulling moisture or use less, as I really piled it on.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

remove membrane, after 3 to 4 hours in the smoker , i wrap up my ribs in foil abit of apple juice in side , for about 2 hours , then on to a hot grill for about 5 min each side , no FTC on to the diner plate , fall off the bone every time.

click on link to sign up for the 2006 free givaway. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2809

nodak

Rob I have a few questions on your method/recipe?

-what temp?
-do you smoke whole time?
-do you rub/mop

Thanks, MH

nodak

Rob I have a few questions on your method/recipe?

-what temp?
-do you smoke whole time?
-do you rub/mop

Thanks, MH

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

smoker temp 200 to 220, i smoke for 3 hours , and dry rub or sometimes i soak them in  coke or pepsi over night then salt and peper, then let sit to room temp for an hour then into smoker, i use my sauasge rack and hang them to smoke it puts all the ribs in one place no moving racks around or cleaning racks. untill time to wrap in foil for last 2 hours then onto a hot grill if wanted then is the time to mop with suace. on to my plate.

click on link to sign up for the 2006 free givaway. http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2809