• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I am PROUD to share - BBQ beans w/smoke sausage

Started by Eat This, January 22, 2006, 05:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eat This

I have been around here for awhile and to be honest I am more of a reader than a poster. Heck, with all these experts around, quite frankly I felt I had little to offer. I have learned so MUCH right here from paging through and reading then applying things to my pallet. One thing I have tried to do was make BBQ Beans that would equal my main smoked meat...not just a side dish folks take a spoonful of. I have tried over 12 times to come up with something that had merit. At least for me it works very well so I thought I would share. I will tell you I have soaked and cooked beans (kidney beans, butter beans, pinto's) and quite frankly folks the yield is not worth that time and trouble. I learned here that there is no need in wasting the heat nor the space when smoking...so when I smoke a pork Butt I always do ABT's....so I throw 2 extra whole whole Jalepenos on the top rack along with 2 links of sausage...and utilize them in this recipe:

1 55 0z can of Bushs baked beans (I like the bacon and Brown sugar)

2 smoked sausage links (I like italian or chorizo)

2 smoked jalepenos

1 medium WHITE onion

left over bacon from the ABT's(might as well use the whole dang pack)

3/4 cup BBQ sauce...I have made some from smoke & Spice but I now use Stubbs BBQ sauce in this

1/3 cup Brown Sugar

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 tablespoon of the rub you used on the pork

pepper to taste

Utilize everything.....after making your abt's, fry up the remaining bacon till crisp and make bits out of them, leave bacon fat in pan.

Saute onion in bacon drippings till translucent

chop 2 smoked sausage links into little bites along with the 2 smoked peppers

put beans in a foil dish and add the bacon,peppers,onions and all remaining ingredients. Give it a good stir.

when you plan your butt is about an hour away I place the pan directly beneath the pork butt catching the drippings.....(temp is safe at this point)
The drippings and sausage add a nice smoky flavor that isnt overpowering....give it a try.....well if you like beans that is.

mods I know it is a recipe but wasnt sure where to put it since it wasnt a meat or fish...this recipe easily doubles or triples for larger gatherings

tsquared

That looks like a great recipe, Eat This. Have you tried smoking onions? (I do it for smoked onion soup.) Smoked onion, then sauteed is awesome and might add to your recipe.
T2

IKnowWood

Great modification tsquared.  The original post looks great, the smoked then sauted onion I think would add a lot of added dimension.  Now what kind of Onion would you use?  Just while, two small yellow a Spanish or maybe even dare a large Vidalia...   Also how about adding in a shallot?

Experimentation is best.  Great post EatThis.

Why don't someone try this also, try a modification and post the results...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

gotbbq

Eat This
The recipe looks grat. I like the idea with the drippings in the beans.  I'm heading that way today.  Thanks[:)]

gotbbq

gotbbq

Eat This
The recipe looks grat. I like the idea with the drippings in the beans.  I'm heading that way today.  Thanks[:)]

gotbbq

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><font size="2">mods I know it is a recipe but wasnt sure where to put it since it wasnt a meat or fish...</font id="size2"><hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> No worries about this. Chez has not been around here in awhile and if he shows up the worse is this will get moved to the Veg. Cheese Nuts forum.

Nice recipe.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

MallardWacker

I can see me trying this.  But I think I will smoke the sausage, onion jalapenos and the bacon[:p]for a couple of hours and then follow the recipe.  Excellent dish there young man...

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

IKnowWood

Just thought of this twist.  

Add a Tbs of Red Chili Powder (or smoked dried crushed Ancho and some powdered smoked Jalepeno) and 1 ts of Cumin

Mix good, the place on a platter of Thin Spagetti. Topped with shreaded Cheddar & melted  Instant great Chili-Mac.

Ohhhh,  chili Mac...   (Smoked Chili Mac.....)...

OK, back to thinking...
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

JJC

Terrific recipe, Eat This--thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA