• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

cold weather

Started by camryn#2, February 09, 2012, 06:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camryn#2

Bought a six rack Bradley smoker about two years ago. Could not ask for a better smoker in the summer that is. In the winter cant keep the tempature up. I bought some of that silver insulation that looks like bubble wrap thinking that might help keep the tempature up but did not work. Anyone else have this problem in colder weather >:(

bears fan

How cold?  I don't have much of a problem.  Do you open it up a lot?  Keep the door closed and close the vent a little.  Don't close it all the way though.

theLDP

I just smoked a briskett in temps of 35F for 9 hours.  I set the temp for 220 and had to kick on the SG a couple times to keep the heat up.  I'm pretty happy with that.  But much colder I really don't want to be smokin for long hours anyway.  I'm just happy it's this warm  :)

camryn#2

The temp. was around 20 to 25 .  I only open the door about every three hours to change the water. So i was woundering if the heating element was ging bad? Do they go out slowly or just go out.

Habanero Smoker

I've never had an element go out on me, but from what I read of other's experiences when they go out it is quickly.

I have smoke/cooked with a single element in those temperature. It does take longer to get up  to the set temperature, but once there it will maintain that heat. I also cut down on my load; I would not attempt to cook a full load in my smoker during the winter. For example I would only cook one butt at a time; or no more then 2 brisket flats, or 2 racks of spare ribs.

What size load were you trying to cook, and what vent opening did you use? Many use a larger disposable pan to hold more water, so you don't have to change the water so frequently. Try adding a brick or two, that will act as a heat sink and aid in the temperature recovery after opening and closing the door. Pre-heat the smoker 25 - 50°F higher than what you are planning to cook at.

Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)