Hi-Mtn Bologna

Started by whitetailfan, January 25, 2006, 06:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitetailfan

We're putting together a kit of hi-mtn bologna this weekend, all beef.

Has anyone tried their bologna yet?  I'm interested in a review, although it is too late to change our minds now, so I will also re-post with results.

Most important is what wood have you/would you use?  I'm thinking of doing it in 2 sets of 5 sticks as the kit makes 10.  I use hickory for sausage, but I'm considering going tamer...perhaps pecan and apple or maple[?][?][?]

Suggestions...Comments...

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

BigSmoker

Stupid, annoying time-out crap is getting old.  Actually messed up my post this time[:(!][:(!][:(!].

Check this link WTF.
http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=696&SearchTerms=bologna

I'm not going to retype all the rest.  The link basically covers my experience. HTH.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

owrstrich

white... i dig smoked and bbqed bologna... never done one from scratch but have done a whole from the grocery... good stuff...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

WTF if it was me the first time out I would be reserved and use Adler.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Hopeful

WTF - I am just curious how the bolonga turned out, would like to try it sometime?  Thanks

Hopeful in Iowa

whitetailfan

Eating my first sandwich for lunch today.  Bologna has a very distinct flavour, it is not comparable to any sausage I have ever tasted.  On its own it tastes OK, I liked it.  My Dad held back comments, and I could tell he didn't really like it, but as my bro pointed out, it's not supposed to be summer sausage, if that's what we wanted, we should have used the other kit.  This is bologna and if you eat a piece of B out of the package from any source of deli meat, it does not taste as good as sausage.........therefore, it probably tastes just like its supposed to.  Dad liked it fried up for breakfast with some toast.

After lunch I will repost how she tastes between two slices of bread and some French's yellow.  The only disapointment so far, is that it looks like sausage and after putting in so much effort, you don't really want lunch meat, but that is what you produced.  You expect it to taste different, basically it has nice flavour but very strong to be eaten alone.  But I like the results so far, and that has promted us to try the summer sausage kit next.

FYI - The casings are just a bit too long to fill to max and fit in the Bradley.  Start by tying the strings tighter to the casing, that helps.  One of Rob's sausage racks would give you a few more inches, but don't forget to measure no matter how you do it, hanging or racks.

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

jaeger

I agree with you WTF. The High Mountain kit is specified for bologna but is not the texture of what you will find in most American deli's. Take a package of bologna that everyone is probably familiar with - Oscar Mayer Bologna. The meat is not ground as much as it is emulsified with a VCM - (vertical cutter machine). When you process this meat through a VCM the texture is like a thick batter.
Also, this type of bologna is not smoked. It is actually cooked in a hot water "bath".
What High Mountain offers is a bologna flavored smoked sausage.
I have a suggestion for you, make your next batch of summer sausage from scratch. Look at several recipes and you will find that most of these call for the same amount of your <u>main</u> seasoning ingredients - Salt, dextrose(sugar) and pepper. The only ingredient you may need to find online is dextrose, although you may be able to find some of this locally also. Some of the other ingredients-mustard seed, garlic powder, onion powder, coriander, nutmeg or what have you can be used or not used at your discretion. <u>Also</u>, you will need to use some type of quick cure, readily available.
The beauty of this recipe is ...it will be your own recipe. You control the ingredients. You customize it over time. It is yours![;)]

http://www.zesco.com/products.cfm?subCatID=378&PGroupID=040701AZ02

<font size="2"><b>Doug</b></font id="size2">

BigSmoker

Remember the kit from HI-Mtn is "Old Fashioned" bologna so if you try it, it is definitely different than store bought bologna.

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.