• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Dehydrator vs Smoke and Drying in Bradley

Started by Consooger, February 18, 2012, 03:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consooger

As I am still new at this I am gathering a TON of knowledge about different ways to make jerky and other tasty treats. I begged and pleased with the fiance to get a smoker to make jerky and have not done so yet but am taking in all the knowledge I can before doing so. From everything I read it looks like I will be doing many other things than the jerky, but that's here nor there.

My question IS: For making my jerky can I effectively make a very good batch of jerky in my 6 rack without a dehydrator or should I go and beg and plead to buy a dehydrator as well. I see a lot of people on here smoke their jerky and then throw it in the dehydrator afterwards. I'm looking at the BEST option here. If I can get agood dehydrator for like $150-$200 and have it smoked first that leaves all the room to throw more meat into smoke and start that up.

Just looking for the best option here.

Thanks!

John
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

bundy

I use to smoke then dehydrate, now I just marinate and throw in the Cabela's Digital Dehydrator, comes out great.

muebe

The dehydrator has a fan to move all that moisture out fairly quickly and does that job well. They also maintain a even temp in those low temp ranges between 50F and 170F.

You can dehydrate in the Bradley but it will take longer and you will need to rotate the racks every 30 minutes to make sure everything dries evenly.

However I have a Bradley with a PID and a convection fan from a home oven. It does just as good of a job as my Cabelas dehydrator.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Keymaster

I have made Jerky both ways. I liked my last batch out of the dehydrator a lot but it missed the smoke flavor. Next time I will throw some L.S. In with the Brine. If it was Me, I would get the Fiance' a Late Valentines gift in the way of a dehydrator ;D The more toys Tools a guy has the better product he will produce.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: muebe on February 18, 2012, 05:17:39 AM
The dehydrator has a fan to move all that moisture out fairly quickly and does that job well. They also maintain a even temp in those low temp ranges between 50F and 170F.

You can dehydrate in the Bradley but it will take longer and you will need to rotate the racks every 30 minutes to make sure everything dries evenly.

However I have a Bradley with a PID and a convection fan from a home oven. It does just as good of a job as my Cabelas dehydrator.

Ditto

Touch of Bradley smoke then into the dehydrator.

Sailor

Hey Consooger, Being that you is not marry YET  :o and you already had the Bradley you might want to spring for a grinder and a stuffing machine so you can make sausage.  You will still be able to do jerky in the Bradley.  Just sayin that you might consider gettin most of the man toys tools that you will need before she really has a say in things  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Sailor on February 18, 2012, 08:39:27 AM
Hey Consooger, Being that you is not marry YET  :o and you already had the Bradley you might want to spring for a grinder and a stuffing machine so you can make sausage.  You will still be able to do jerky in the Bradley.  Just sayin that you might consider gettin most of the man toys tools that you will need before she really has a say in things  ;D
LOL! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

Consooger

Quote from: Sailor on February 18, 2012, 08:39:27 AM

HAHAHAHA Very true. Funny thing is that she said "maybe it would be a good idea if I tried smoking my meats instead of buying them all the time, maybe it will kill some time in the winter between fishing season and baseball season" I think she is eating those words. I have a friend that has a stuffer however I was looking at a grinder and a dehydrator as well. Maybe I will put them on MY wedding registry, lord knows she has everything on there for HER anyways HAH.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

hybridcx

got a flyer from cabelas today in the mail they had there dehydrator on the add norm 199$ on sale for 99$ might have to pick myself one up as well.......

you can do what I did (at least on the dehydrator) and use they dried fruit angle worked here and the wife wants it more than I do now.....

viper125

Saw a excalipher on craigs list the other day for 50.00 in PA.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Consooger

Quote from: hybridcx on February 23, 2012, 07:04:45 PM
got a flyer from cabelas today in the mail they had there dehydrator on the add norm 199$ on sale for 99$ might have to pick myself one up as well.......

you can do what I did (at least on the dehydrator) and use they dried fruit angle worked here and the wife wants it more than I do now.....

Talked her into letting me get a dehydrator. I told her that it would be great for the bannanas and apples and oranges that she always buys at the market!!! Now onto an angle with an electric meat grinder  :P  ;D
               -My Wife

viper125

Tell her you can make low cost burger by buying beef on sale. Less fat better quality.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

hybridcx

I am already working on the meat grinder.... I am going with the angle of filling the freezer with enough shoulders and butts we will need it to process it all.... but i will wait a few weeks, i just got my slicer and stuffer in the last week and a half....

12AMNSX

First of all, you're already in a lot of trouble if you have to beg your fiance to buy something.  Just think of what it will be like when you're married.   :o

I've always smoked my jerky first for a short time, maybe an hour, before sending it to the Excalibur for drying.

Consooger

Quote from: 12AMNSX on February 25, 2012, 09:08:30 AM
First of all, you're already in a lot of trouble if you have to beg your fiance to buy something.  Just think of what it will be like when you're married.   :o

I've always smoked my jerky first for a short time, maybe an hour, before sending it to the Excalibur for drying.

Not necessarily do I have to "BEG" just when I'm always wanting more fishing equipment, and guns, and other things she see's it as money going out. She says I always want something or always want to upgrade. HOPEFULLY she doesn't ever want to upgrade the righ I put on her finger or I will no longer be on here talking about the things I want or do! HAH  :-X

As for the dehydrator founs a Cabelas Commercial 80 L for $250. Thinking about picking it up.
               -My Wife