• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

We butchered 5 hogs and...

Started by ghost9mm, March 04, 2012, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Awesome production line there. One question- What do you do with the brains,tongue and kidneys? Are they ground up with the rest of the pork?

ghost9mm

Quote from: watchdog56 on March 05, 2012, 04:29:17 PM
Awesome production line there. One question- What do you do with the brains,tongue and kidneys? Are they ground up with the rest of the pork?

The brains are fried up with eggs for next day breakfast, the tongue's are boiled and skinned and pickled and some of the kidneys are fried up and eaten and the rest go in the puddin meat...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

sparky1

i have never seen anything like that before.  does it smell like blood doing that?  flies?  ok, a few more questions.  why skin the heads?  i like the fresh sausage though.  take a small village to do all the work.   
26.75 OTG
18.5 WSM

ghost9mm

Quote from: sparky1 on March 05, 2012, 06:36:33 PM
i have never seen anything like that before.  does it smell like blood doing that?  flies?  ok, a few more questions.  why skin the heads?  i like the fresh sausage though.  take a small village to do all the work.

There are no flies when the temps are in the 30's and no blood smell unless you are the one cutting the hogs throat and even then not much with the cooler temps, and do hogs smell, of course...everyone here that helped butcher grew up in and around a farm... and this is the way we have done it all my life...
  The hogs heads are always cleaned for the amount of meat that is on the head...we use everything but the squeal...
most families around here help each other out when butchering time comes and it is always done in cold weather...we had about 18 people help out this time... last year we butchered 10 hogs but this year we had a really good deer harvest...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill