• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pink slime

Started by SiFumar, March 07, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Just saw this tonight.  I hadn't heard about this and was wondering if anyone else had.  Makes me glad I have a meat grinder!

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/pink-slime-15873068

3rensho

OMG that is disgusting.  First meat glue and now this.  Thanks for the post.  Been making my own ground meat for years so I know what goes into it.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

JZ

Another example of why I despise government.

mikecorn.1

:o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

I grind my own burger and have for years...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

SiFumar

Quote from: ghost9mm on March 08, 2012, 04:32:35 PM
I grind my own burger and have for years...

I hear ya there!  Store bought has been disgusting for years...even more so now.

Keymaster

Guess I should get a better grinder ;D

wipf9994

Quote from: Keymaster on March 08, 2012, 04:49:07 PM
Guess I should get a better grinder ;D
I agree. get rid of the hand grinder n get a good one

Salmonsmoker

We buy our GB at Costco and although I don't know for sure, I doubt that they use pink slime. My daughter and son-in-law work for Costco. I will ask them and then post the findings.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

pikeman_95

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on March 11, 2012, 09:10:39 AM
We buy our GB at Costco and although I don't know for sure, I doubt that they use pink slime. My daughter and son-in-law work for Costco. I will ask them and then post the findings.

Costco was one on the report that stated that they never have used Pink slime and don't intend to. Walmart would not comment. I was in a sporting goods store that sold grinders and there was a couple in looking at grinders. They were in shocked at how much they cost. The store only had a number 8 and a number 22 grinders in stock. I suggested for the home meat grinder they try to look for a number 12. I have a number 12 Lem grinder and a number 22 hand grinder which was converted to power and a large commercial # 46 grinder that used to be used to grind horse meat. I find the #12 has a stainless body with very close tolerances so it pushes the meat through fast and cuts clean. Cheap grinders don't have these qualities.
Kirby

Salmonsmoker

Thanks Kirby, I won't have to check with the "kids".
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.