• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Adding second element wiring question

Started by kfin, May 23, 2012, 04:26:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kfin

Hi Guys,
I have read most all of the threads on adding a second element to the OBS and have a question on the wiring. I am adding an on/off switch but not adding the second temperature sensor and inline fuse.

My switch has 3 prongs on it.

Game Plan is as follows:

1.   Jump off blue wire (power) from AC plug and go to power on switch (plug 1)
2.   Jump off white wire from from AC plug twice – once to second element and once to the to light on switch (plug 2)
3.   Where do I come off to go to other side of second element?
4.   Where do I come off to go to third spot (neutral) on switch?

Thanks....gotta big smoke going this weekend and can't wait to try this second element out. I have only had it for a year!
Keith

TedEbear

The link below shows a wiring diagram for adding a second element with an on/off switch.  When I added mine I just wired a short 4-inch loop of wire on each end of the second element to the first. I never really saw the need for an extra switch.

They say if your PID controller goes out then you can continue to use your smoker with a switch.  True, but there are several things that can go out on it and I don't plan to have a backup smoke generator. 

I hope you have a PID controller to handle the higher wattage.

Additional Heating Element for OBS with On/Off Control

kfin

I have a PID and I just wanted to put a switch on it. :)

I had the neutral and the light switch mixed up at the switch and was blowing a fuse. Got the wires changed and am ready to roll. Nothing like cutting it close as we are having a dozen people over tomorrow afternoon for ribs and loin!

Thanks

Habanero Smoker

When you complete the mod, you will love it.

As far as a need for a switch, there are a couple of reasons why I installed it. When you read the instructions, and you look at the second paragraph under the disclaimer; the reasons for the switch are explained.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kfin

I loaded it up with 5 racks of baby backs this morning after preheating to 250. Dropped the PID temp to 200 when I put the ribs in. In 30 minutes it was humming along right at 200! That used to take 3 hours with that many ribs in it. I am gonna love this.

Thanks for the assistance.
Keith

Habanero Smoker

Make sure you rotate your racks, and you will probably need to adjust your cooking times.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

kfin

I did remember to rotate them and you are right, cooking times will definately be less now with the second element. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. I have had the stuff to do it for a year and finally got around to it.