• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Gunpowder Jerky???

Started by josbocc, April 25, 2012, 03:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey Everyone,

Just got my first batch of "Gunpowder" and I have to get the opinions of the experts.  I am headed out in a week and a half to an annual training for work that I help instruct at..., and for the past two years I have brought some GB jerky, and some Muebe nuggets.  Goes without saying, but now I am expected to bring some treats for my co-workers.  This year I will have some Blazin' pistachios (Thank You Seemore), but as far as the jerky or nuggets go, I am looking for something a little different.  I just did a batch of GB jerky using some homemade Chipotle powder that I did in my DBS6, and it turned out awesome. 

We will finally get to the question at hand.  Has anyone tried Muebe nuggets, or GB jerky using gunpowder?  If so, how were the results, how much gunpowder did you use per pound, and did you use any other spices with it (with the exception of a curing agent)?

I've got 10 lbs. of gunpowder that I am just itching to try.  OPINIONS PLEASE !!!!!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Consooger

Ive used gunpowder in jerky before but not in heavy doses. I have added it in place of chilli powder or cayenne powder but the only difference was that it was missing the "heat" factor of the powder I replaced it with. If you use it let us know how it works. I am interested what your methods will produce.
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

josbocc

Consooger,

As I am currently out of Ground Beef, and the price at Sam's Club is astronomical even by the case..., I think my first effort might have to be with Muebe's nuggets. 

I usually use Hi-Mtn spices when making my jerky, but I normally "tweak" the spices a little with things like Lawry's seasoning salt, cayenne pepper, Chipotle powder, etc.  So what I'm thinking is using a standard spice mix, but then "tweaking" with the gunpowder.

Still look forward to a few more suggestions, but I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!