Bradley Smoker and Winter

Started by Prairie Smoker, February 22, 2006, 01:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prairie Smoker

Would anyone have experience with the Bradley unit in cold temperatures ( minus 10-20 C or 0-15 F )  Is it able to heat up and hold necessary temperature for hot smoking?  I am thinking of purchasing but wondered if the unit could be used in the cold winters?  Any of your experiences would be helpful.[:)]

whitetailfan

Hi Prairie,
I'm sure I have done some that cold before.  I mostly do up my barbecue items in the summer though, but the BS ought to work at minus 10.  Best thing is a sunny day, as this for sure helps to keep temp up if used in direct sunlight.  Second, wind is your worst enemy.  I would rather smoke at zero on a calm day than plus 10 on a windy day.  Choose a sheltered area, and you should be fine.  You will likely have to max out the heat to keep it at 200 and add some time, but it should cook.  I use mine in South Alberta and I'm very happy, if it's too cold to smoke, its too cold to be outside[;)]

<font color="green">whitetailfan</font id="green">
"Nice Rack"
Lethbridge, AB
Vegetarian is an ancient aboriginal word meaning "lousy hunter"
We have enough youth...how about a fountain of smart?
Living a healthy lifestyle is simply choosing to die at the slowest possible rate.

icerat4

Its very cold where i am at but my bs is in the shed with no winds and it hold the temps pretty good once they get up to where they need to be.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

Prairie Smoker welcome to the forum [:)]

Prairie Smoker

Thanks to Smokehouse Rob and IceRat4.  I am in the Edmonton Alberta area.  Your advise is great. I see that a local retailer (Canadian Tire) has pulled their stock because of a recall on certain serial numbers.  I may wait for spring and see who carries the new digital model that I understand will be launched in May/June 2006.  What a great Forum!  [:D]

Muskwa

Welcome to the forum Prairie Smoker!

I am here in Winnipeg and have been smoking all year long! Even in minus -45c. You just need to pick and choose what you smoke seasonally and you'll be fine.

Muskwa!

JJC

Welcome to the Forum, Prairie Smoker!  Boston is not as cold as Edmonton, for sure, but I also have a smoker up in Maine where it regularly gets to -10 or even -20F at night.  No problem getting the BS up to 220 or higher.  Since I prefer not to go above the BP of water anymore (212F), as long as I can hit 200 I'm fine--just takes a little longer, but what the heck.  BTW, those cold winter temps are the perfect time to do cold-smoking of cheese, lox, etc, without worrying about using a box in between the smoke generator and cabinet.

John
Newton MA
P.S.--keep it out of the wind!
John
Newton MA

nodak

Welcome aboard,  As long as your out of the wind no problem woke up this morning @ -10F had bradley warming up and added the smoke generator no problem getting temp up.  But definitely need the extra heat from the puck burner.  My switch must have got bump when I added the generator, couldn't get temp up when I added the meat. I max out @ 178F switched on generator and up to 200-210F no time.   BEWARE wind is your enemy.

Have fun.

"If you're not living on the edge, You're taking up way too much room, so get the he-- out of my way."

acords

Hey nodak, what part of the state are you from.  I grew up in Dickinson.  I've also lived in Grafton, Grand Forks and Fargo.  Great state, except for the price of dairy products!

Grab me another Stout
Grab me another stout, or scotch, or martini, or........
http://www.yardandpool.com - for all your Bradley needs!
http://www.geocities.com/schleswignapa/ -for all your Bradley needs!

rraming

I'm in Minneapolis and my Bradley - standard will arrive at 220 degrees eventually (damper barely open) even at 10 degrees. I have not tried colder than that.  [:D]

http://www.midwestinteriors.com