• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Started by mofongo, May 08, 2012, 01:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mofongo

Hello everybody,

I hope this is the right way to do this introduction thing?

I found this forum after having smoked about 20 pounds of bacon this winter on my new Bradley and find that the sugar in my dry rub causes the bacon to burn when I fry it. I like the taste of maple cured bacon but since we don't have maple trees here in Denmark where I live, I boiled down some apple cider and added that to my cure plus some brown sugar. It is a good flavor. I want to develop a recipe that has Danish ingredients and eventually sell it if I can make a product that doesn't burn when fried!!!! Anybody have an idea?

Thanks,

Jaime

Habanero Smoker

Hi Jamie;

Welcome to the forum.

This is a good way to introduce your self, but maybe modify your subject to New member Needs Advice.
When you make sweet bacon (bacon with a lot of sugar); it will burn if you try to crisp it the same way as you would cook a less sweet bacon. You may have to modify the cooking instruction to instruct those using your product to fry at a much lower heat, until they obtain the desired crispness, or roast the bacon in the oven.

I make boiled cider every year, and I never though of using it as a replacement of maple syrup for curing. Now I will.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike

ghost9mm

Hello and welcome to a really great forum...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill

beefmann

Kahunas

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

slowpoke

If your looking back at the things you missed,You won't know what hit you.

muebe

Welcome to the forum :)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

sjmcdowall

Welcome aboard indeed!  My step-father is Danish (and his great-grandfather founded the town of Solvang, California -- a slice of Denmark in the USA) ... Danish bacon sounds interesting ... what would natural ingredients be for that? 

Wouldn't using a reduced (i.e. concentrated) apple cider in the cure -- maybe cause interesting (?) side affects?  I'm thinking the acid in the cider (which is now even more concentrated) breaking down the protein structure of the belly while its sitting around ...

Just curious -- never tried concentrated (or any) apple cider in a long term cure/brine thing ...

In any event, Skoal!

SouthernSmoked

Welcome to the forum...Enjoy!

Remember we like pic's!!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

beefmann

welcome aboard and enjoy

destrouk

I'm on my 3rd batch of bacon if you have any questions and I don't use nitrates !!!!